Infection Or Healing From Scraping Against Decor? Question

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by Deedo12, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Deedo12

Deedo12Valued MemberMember

My gold German ram has a little white mark on her head.. not sure if it’s some sort of fungal infection or if it’s from healing due to scraping her head against a cave I have in the tank (Just got over a case of ich not too long ago) 1ca6fbbe30ff81f41f19059871166184.jpgd968598512944611bbfc2f0acd4729db.jpg She’s acting fine- social, active, and eating.

2. Seth15

Seth15Valued MemberMember

It may just be healing from damage. A closer image would better determine. Just watch out for fungus like growth or an increase in size of wound. The best thing you can do is provide pristine water parameters. I would do more frequent water changes. Good luck

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  3. kayla.s

kayla.sWell Known MemberMember

Kinda hard to tell but to me that looks like more than a scratch wound (looks like something extruding from the head?)... I'd keep a sharp eye on the fish and if it gets worse you'll need to act quickly. If you plan to treat it maybe get an idea for quarantine set up so long.

I do hope I'm overreacting though and that it heals quickly and on its own! :)

4. OP
    OP
    Deedo12

It’s protruding the slightest bit and so far seems to be looking the same. I plan to do a decent sized water change this evening and I’ll test my water prior to get exact parameters. Fingers crossed! Thanks guys I’ll keep you updated!

5. kayla.s

6. OP
    OP
    Deedo12

Soooo interesting turn of events. Kinda freaked out.. so I come home today to my cory catfish upside down in a plant.. I move him and he swims fine. White mark on my rams head is looking the same. I do a big water change as planned(treated with stress coat).. an hour later I notice my cory is still alive, swimming a little, but developed a few red marks on him.. AND I notice my ram as well by her gills which is never anything good. I attached pictures- may be a better image of the mark on my rams head as well. Can someone tell me what the heck is going on?!

Water parameters:

Temp 84- slightly warmer because of the water change. Usually it’s around 82 or so
    Ammonia- 0
    pH- 7.5
    GH- 30
    KH- 120
    Nitrite- 0
    Nitrate- 0

1ba0f41bdc623fafc11fb5f65e5faf0e.jpg7a9efadd9a4ca1e3b15e575441d660c8.jpg
    70890fa5234d53e7885ba3784083481e.jpg

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  7. kayla.s

Hmm you're right that isn't good...
    My best advice would be to post a new thread with these symptoms in the disease forum. You'll likely get more traffic there too. I luckily haven't had to deal too much with diseases so I don't like trying to diagnose things I've never seen, but someone there will probably be able to point you in the right direction!

Also did you check the parameters before or after the WC?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice