Infected Fins

LeticiaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello everyone!
2 days ago I noticed the ends of my betta’s dorsal fin was ragged and a little dark, now today after work there is an area of them that is white and fluffy -is this a bacterial or fungal infection? What should I do?

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 10G
How long has the tank been running? Aug 3018
Does it have a filter? Y
Does it have a heater? Y
What is the water temperature? 78-preset
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) one male Betta, one netrite, multiple ramshorn snails

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once weekly
How much of the water do you change? 50%
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Vacuum substrate as well

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No
What do you use to test the water? API master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: the kit always says 0.25, my seachem alert thing says <0.02
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0-5
pH:8.3

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Twice daily, fast on Sunday
How much do you feed your fish? The amount of his eye
What brand of food do you feed your fish? North fin pellets, Hikari bug bites, omega one frozen bribe shrimp
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Y

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Aug 2018
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Wednesday
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Ragged dorsal fin, now seems to infected...white fluffy material on fin
Have you started any treatment for the illness? 50%water change Thursday and Friday, added IAL
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Maybe fins seem more clamped

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

Please see above.
To complicate issues, a couple weeks ago, I lost a Betta in a different tank with a mass coming out of her operculum, which turned fuzzy like this. Did I transfer something to this fish from her?
Is it fungal? Bacterial?
Should I try topical peroxide treatments?

Thank you so much for any help you can give. I really don’t want to lose him!

Leticia
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

LeticiaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you @TarielBlu . I will look into an anti fungal treatment. I don’t have any currently on hand. I am in Canada, I know antibiotics can not be found in pet stores, I am not sure about the availability of anti-fungals.

@david1978 is a fan of hydrogen peroxide for some infections...it seemed to work when I dosed my shrimp tank with it. Could I use it in this situation? Net him and swab it directly on the area? Use a dip? Just add it to current tank?

The affected raggedy looking area has fallen off over night, the fluffy area is still present.

Thank you so much for any help given, I am pretty worried about this guy!!

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The news laws in Canada have really cut down on your options. The treat the whole tank method vs swab both have their pros and cons. Whole tank is less stressful on the fish but its a lower concentration. Swab is a higher concentration but more stressful and it scares some people to even try this way. A wet paper towel works best to help not effect the slime coat.
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/peroxide-how-to.382067/
Potassium pomegranate is another treatment. I have never used it but if Coralbandit says it works then it probably does.
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/using-potassium-permanganate.397208/

LeticiaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you @david1978 !

Those links are great, thank you so much! I will try 2ml in my 10G, leave filter running (it’s an internal canister). That level is safe for my ramshorns and nerite, right? I am going to do my water change tonight then add the peroxide, repeat every other day for 3 treatments.

Thank you so much!!

LeticiaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just an update, Gryphon passed away last night The white fuzzy areas were gone from his dorsal fin, but fin rot had started on his caudal fin and analfin, although it wasn’t dramatic. He was resting more than normal, but still coming over when he saw me, was eating normally, still has his colour, even now passed away.

Any idea what it could have been? @david1978 Could it have been Columnaris, affecting internal organs as well?

I am not sure what I have done wrong, parameters are still what they were in my first post. People keep bettas in bowls longer than I can keep them in a planted 10G aquarium. I feel so terrible.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom