More than 10 years
More.
20190814_172617.jpg

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Awe. Your very kind. Need more plants still. And fish! Lol. But im a very slow decider. Its been a year in sept 2018. And all i have is amanos, nerites, 3 clown plecos and a baby bristlenose.

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Previously i had the same fish for 12yrs. But i broke the big tank down and started over, with 4 smallish ones lol.

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I got the pots on ebay for 2 for 9.99. Ordered 12. Well worth it free shipping.

And they have different shapes and styles. More expensive. So i started with these.

They have some acrylic square shelve ones that would be awesome in a cichlid tank. Your right.

Go to Amazon or eBay and put in aquarium glass pots and aquarium acrylic shelf.

Dray

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay just tested using the dropper kit and I was WAY off! PH is actually 7.6 in the tank (7.8 out of the faucet.) The plecos may not like that much, but the goldfish will be happy.

Those suction cup planters are exactly what I had in mind, actually.

Here's an updated picture with the foxtails, though they've gotten blown out of place a bit.
IMG_20190908_194826.jpg

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dray said:
Okay just tested using the dropper kit and I was WAY off! PH is actually 7.6 in the tank (7.8 out of the faucet.) The plecos may not like that much, but the goldfish will be happy.

Here's an updated picture with the foxtails, though they've gotten blown out of place a bit.
View attachment 586385
Wait, plecos? I thought you were getting dojos. Dojos would be a much better choice with goldfish as they both prefer cooler water. Plecos typically require tropical water temps (a heater at 72-80°F) plus Dojos are perfectly happy with a pH between 6 and 8.
7.6 is a good number for most tropical fish and for cycling. I'd suggest dosing your tank to just 2 ppm. No tank needs to be able to process 4ppm ammonia overnight unless you plan on overstocking with piranhas! That over-dosing may be why you're getting such funky numbers now. That grape wood looks outstanding! Just check it every once in awhile. If it starts deteriorating, replace it with a hardwood. People put Cholla in their tanks for Pete's sake! Might as well use Balsa as Cholla! Here's a guide that lists appropriate hard woods and some woods you should never use: Guide to aquarium wood - INJAF!

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree also. I love weather loaches with goldfish. In that tank, it would be stunning!!!! I'm so jealous of that tank! Love.

Dray said:

View attachment 586385
I'm going to find link for you today, I think the corner and square acrylics shelves with plants would be gorgeous in there. Some cabomba would be great too, at least the goldfish won't eat that and it likes coldwater.

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Dray

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Momgoose56 said:
Wait, plecos? I thought you were getting dojos. Dojos would be a much better choice with goldfish as they both prefer cooler water. . . That grape wood looks outstanding! Just check it every once in awhile. If it starts deteriorating, replace it with a hardwood.
Dojos are still in the plan, but since I've got the space and the grape wood will deteriorate quickly, a pleco would help keep it in check. Not a common pleco--either bristlenose or rubberlip. I believe either of those should be happy with my tank parameters and are less likely to go after the goldies than commons.

My temperatures right now seem to be hovering between 79-81. In the winter, they should stay pretty consistently at 69-70 since that's what we keep the thermostat set to.

Tonight I dosed 2 tsp of Fritz Pro Aquatic ammonia chloride (powder form). Then tested about 20 min later:

Ammonia: 2
Nitrite: 2
Nitrate: 10

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dawn Michele said:
Hey Rhonda!!! I LOVE that plant holder!!! That is sooooo cool!!! Tank's look AMAZING!!!
Ty dawn. I got more plants, just quarantined them. I'll update soon. Ty again.

Dray

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yay! 3 --> 0 ammonia in 24 hours!

I replanted the foxtails in the glass suction-cup planters with Fluval Stratum. They're pretty cute! Too many floaties in the water for decent pics right now.

Getting soooo close I can almost taste it. (But not really. Because that would be gross.)

Wydowmayker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lol, it might taste good...fresh mountain stream...

Your aquarium looks amazing!!

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh kool Im so glad for you. Can't wait to see pics!

Dray

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OMG OMG OMG Nitrites 0000000000!!!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!
(Nitrates are holding steady at 40. I credit my nitrate-gobbling foxtail.)

So happy I could cry.
IMG_20190919_002047.jpg

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dray said:
OMG OMG OMG Nitrites 0000000000!!!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!
(Nitrates are holding steady at 40. I credit my nitrate-gobbling foxtail.)

So happy I could cry.
View attachment 613386
I know that feeling, congrats!

Dray

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dojo loaches added today. 5 fancy goldfish coming Tuesday :)

IMG_20190922_180525.jpg

IMG_20190922_185042.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom