Inexperienced with 12 Gallon Saltwater Tank

bandito974

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks!, two of my anenomes have died, and so have my clown fish, even with weekly water changes the green algea is getting worst! I am so discouraged right now!

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aw man - I'm sorry to hear that. But running a smaller tank is actually more difficult than a larger tank. You get much greater fluctuations in water quality/parameters in a smaller volume of water. And you started with anemones which are really difficult to care for, even for those with lots of experience.

At this point, I'd recommend keeping up with the water changes and start researching some of the smaller fish species. The saltwater inverts such as snails and hermit crabs are really cool too. Look into getting a good protein skimmer if you don't already have one. The aquac-remoras are really good.

Don't be discouraged. Going forward, just remember to research the animals BEFORE you buy them and you'll be more successful. Hang in there

agsansoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
bandito974 said:
well I added 2 anenomies, 2 hermits and 2 snails! On Sunday I added a clown fish,
!
This is the part that gets me so mad .... Many LFS don't care what you buy for your fish tank, so long as they're taking your money . They should have discouraged you from buying all that livestock for such a young tank. ( I know, they did it to me too !)

bandito974

Valued Member
Reaction score
I agree with the both of U's I have a couple blue legs living it up in there and I have atleast 1 snail still around,
What is your best adive from this point? I have green algea growing now and the sand looks yucky!, I plan on doing a water change tommorow but what can I do to clean up my tank?
if some one really can help me I can post a video of what my tank looks like right now.
Thanks

pistorta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Depending on what you will eventually buy, the algae is a good thing. It serves as a food source for many marine animals. I never remove algae from my tank with the exception of the glass side I look through. Green algae may not be aesthetically pleasing to look at, but is not doing any harm to the tank. I would suggest you leave it...but perhaps limiting the amount of light will reduce its growth.

bandito974

Valued Member
Reaction score
pistorta said:
Depending on what you will eventually buy, the algae is a good thing. It serves as a food source for many marine animals. I never remove algae from my tank with the exception of the glass side I look through. Green algae may not be aesthetically pleasing to look at, but is not doing any harm to the tank. I would suggest you leave it...but perhaps limiting the amount of light will reduce its growth.
I plan on just putting in 2 clown fish or damsels, and at some point would hope for some mushrooms.
so will the clowns or damsels eat the gren hair algae?
I have noticed since the bloom my nitrates have gone to 0

pistorta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Algae, like freshwater plants, will consume nitrates, phosphates, etc. as these are a food source for them.

The clowns and damsels will not need the algae. If, in your mind, the benefits of not having the algae outweigh the benefits of having it, limit the lighting and it will disappear. Keep in mind, you will need to make sure your current inhabitants (hermit crabs/snail) have food as you can bet they are living off this algae now.

bandito974

Valued Member
Reaction score
well I pulled a major Cop out, I traded on Craiglist my 12 gallon nano for a complete 55 gallon tank. I am really good at keeping cichlids, I am going to stick with that or I may try and breed some of those angels I posted about. I took each of your advice to heart and the more I read the more I am learning that small tanks are much harder to keep than the larger. I may give salt another try down the road but it will be in a larger tank.
Thanks to everyone

pkmiller

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Like Bandito, I am becoming overwhelmed (and running out of money). I am in the process of setting up my 33 gallon tank for saltwater but after much reading I doubt it will succeed. I have 28 lbs of live rock and live sand. No fish yet. Can I just take the water out and refill and go back to freshwater? Can I keep the rock and sand since it cost me $300?

bandito974

Valued Member
Reaction score
pkmiller said:
Hi everyone! Like Bandito, I am becoming overwhelmed (and running out of money). I am in the process of setting up my 33 gallon tank for saltwater but after much reading I doubt it will succeed. I have 28 lbs of live rock and live sand. No fish yet. Can I just take the water out and refill and go back to freshwater? Can I keep the rock and sand since it cost me $300?
PK, I learned a lot in this forum, what trouble are you having? a 33 gallon is a nice size, do you have the proper equipment? Heater, Light, Skimmer? strong power head?
if you just want to get back into fresh water you might want to try and trade your tank online like I did, I traded a 12 gallon nano for a complete 55 gallon set up

Don't laugh but I jumped back in it, I found a better 17 gallon tank on Craigslist with 25lbs of live rock, sand, a high dollar light, backpak filter, skimmer and awsome power head for 125! I could not pass it up. Th eLive rock alone is worth the 125! This time I am going to take it slow, It has a lot of green hair algea and has been up for like 2 months, I am going to clean it up a little and add cleaner snails and do my water changes every week and take it from there, I have my new 55 Frontosa/blue dolphin tank to occupy me as I baby this 17 gallon salt tank, NO ANENOMES for me!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom