Inexpensive 10 Gallon Filter

metal_fish
I may be setting up a 10 gal sometime soon and was wondering what was a cheaper but good filter for a ten gallon any suggestions thanks.

capekate
Personally I would go with HOB filter, like an aqua clear20. You can try a cheaper brand but in the long run... you may not be happy with it. For the room you gain in a 10g, a HOB filter IMO is the way to go rather than use a cannister inside the tank, filters such as whispers.

~ kate

jsalemi
I second the motion; get an AquaClear 20 or Penguin 100B -- either is great for a 10 gallon tank.

COBettaCouple
yea, all of our 10 gallon tanks have HOB filters.

metal_fish
Stupid Question But HOB means Hang On Back Right? does that mean that it is a cannister filter or just any filter that hangs on the back like a power filter?

COBettaCouple
yea, any filter that hangs on back. I kind of think of them as "the regular filters".

Stupid Question But HOB means Hang On Back Right? does that mean that it is a cannister filter or just any filter that hangs on the back like a power filter?

pistorta
HOB (Hang-on-Back) is the same thing as a Power Filter and is what I would recommend for this application (Penguin or AquaClear- both are good).

jsalemi
Right; though Marineland actually makes a canister filter than hangs on the back of the tank, around here we pretty much always mean a power filter when we say "HOB".

MudHog
I suggest this little baby:

mini-canister filter that is good up to 20 gallons. It's very small and comes with a bracket that you can make it "hang on back" too. I bought one for my custom 6 gallon tank. I have it at my office, but haven't put it to use yet. Very simple looking little item.

Dino
A small sponge filter driven by an air pump would work as well.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Aureus
Replies
Views
garlicrbrian
Replies
Views
Wiss1
Replies
Views