Indoor Pond Fish

GeorgeDaGreat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi,

I am considering building an indoor pond that will be around 7ftx7ftx3ft. It will also be heated. At the moment I'm just looking for suggestions for fish that could go in a pond that size before I start any building.
Wasn't sure which forum to put this in.
Thanks

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We actually have a pond section on here. You can choose a number of fish indoors. You’ll need to stick with ones that can handle room temp water though since it will be difficult to maintain a warm temp in an open pond. Something larger so you can see them too. Comets, Shubunkin, koi, Rosettes, some minnow types, and sunfish are examples. Make sure whatever you choose is compatible with each other. You also need to consider that most fish will breed in a pond so you want to understock it. You’ll end up finding “extras” later on.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Eh, an indoor pond can be heated more easily than an outdoor what. You have lots of options other than goldfish and koi.

What kind of fish do you like? At what temperature are you planning to keep the pond?

You have many options. I think it'd be cool to do some of the larger cichlids and catfish.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How do you heat them and contain the heat? I would like to be able to do that too. I’m really interested. I’d like to close off my covered patio pond and heat it in the winter.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The room temp should be much closer to the ideal pond temp, so heaters won't have to work as hard to get up to temp.

And there are pond heaters available.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, but pond heaters only heat a portion of the pond. Been looking at them. Anyway, not to hijack anyone else’s thread. Good luck, and keep us posted on how the indoor pond comes out. I may close in my patio to keep the bugs out. Would love to benchmark off any tips you learn.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
With the water movement, it'll end up circulating the heat through the entire pond. And compared to room temp, it won't have to work that hard.

GeorgeDaGreat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
would a few koi be ok in a pond that size?

my initial thought were something like, arowana or a shovelnose. If I insulate the walls of the pond and use a lid to cover it most of the time it should stay rather warn.

id be keeping the tank around 25C

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A few koi would be fine in it. They come in all kind of beautiful colors. Again, remember that whatever you put in has a better chance of breeding in a pond so you could end up with some extras. My comets, commons, and shubukin must eat their eggs quickly because I have seen them breeding but no fry yet. This not a disappointment to me.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Arowana would be cool (with a good netting over the top!), but it'd be a bit too small for a shovelnose, seeing as they get over 3 ft long and need more swimming room.

GeorgeDaGreat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah, wasnt sure about a shovelnose. From what
Ive read it says they need 250 gallons lol. Anyway, are there any other catfish species that would be okay. Or what dimensions would be okay for a shovelnose?

Thinking about getting an asian arowana, but theyre all so expensive and im not sure ready for that sort of responsibility yet lol. Maybe a green asian arowana.

If i was to keep just one arowana in the pond. How often would water changes have to be, considering its a 1100g pond?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Shovelnose would need much larger than 250 gallons. Your pond is larger than that, anyway, at around 1100 gallons. I would aim for a 12 ft x 12 ft x 5 ft minimum for them, though longer would be better.

If you only kept one aro in the pond, you wouldn't need to do water changes often - maybe just every month or every few months or something.

GeorgeDaGreat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah, thats too big for the space ive got. Probablymjust get 1 arowana then. Maybe a schooling fish as well that it won t eat.

ParrotCichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
GeorgeDaGreat said:
Yeah, thats too big for the space ive got. Probablymjust get 1 arowana then. Maybe a schooling fish as well that it won t eat.
If you do go with the Asian Arowana be warned that any tank mates whether the same size or a smaller shoaling species are a huge gamble.

Asian's are some of the most aggressive arowanas available. I've heard of a fair few that will kill anything bigger or smaller than themselves.

Probably safer to get a silver arowana if you want to be safe with your investment.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom