Indoor Pond And Humidity Questions Question

Discussion in 'Ponds' started by TheMadScientist, Apr 25, 2018.

1. TheMadScientist

TheMadScientist Valued Member Member

So I have now watched 100s of videos on top of what I do know...but I never thought about humidity.

I am wanting to build a 200 or so setup got most of the materials pumps diy knowledge to build filtration. All I lack is my liner but never thought about evaporation and humidity.....
    Any ideas or ebilightenments I should know

2. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

maybe get a dehumidifier

3. Dingomama

Dingomama Valued Member Member

Humidity is nice :). I imagine that area with orchids and ferns and carnivorous plants. It will be fabulous! (Floors and walls might get mildew but oh well.)

4. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

But also encourages mould growth and whatnot...

To the OP, where will the pond be situated? Whats the surrounding area/room like, brick, concrete wood ect...

5. OP
    OP
    TheMadScientist

Bassicly it's a concrete with carpet then floating floor. But other than that drywall and latex paint

6. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

if its any area that a person will be spending a good bit of time, that is not really the best situation. Mold can form from humidity caused by water in aquariums and ponds if not kept under control. Black mold especially is fatal.

7. OP
    OP
    TheMadScientist

Yes thank you this is technicly my office spot so yea I have enough breathing probs already I guess I will forgo this idea lol I was so close tooo

8. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

At least you have concrete flooring. It will help clean up with any eventual spills. IMO if you use a dehumidifier, you should be fine.

9. OP
    OP
    TheMadScientist

True I also have several windows and doors in here for summer months but through all of these thoughts i never did think about mold mildew or humidity i dont see how it could actually be worse even before the fish tanks my RH was 60 % or more in my house anways but i dont have ready water source in this room to deal with 5 gallons a day of evap from water fall and such.I dont want to sound lazy but even in my water change rubber maid is 18 gallons...Get old awfully fast

10. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

There is a type of drywall called “green board” that is meant for high humidity locations... as well as “sealer” paints to protect any exposed wood, etc.
    Not sure would have a pond by carpeting and floating floors, but the concrete would be fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice