Indoor Lily pond for Sparkling Gourami

Chobin
Hi Everyone,

I started a 11 gallon lily pond (in a planter tub) in my office! It fully cycled at two months, and it is full of beautiful dwarf tiger lotus (really lilies despite name), water wisteria, and some cryptocorenes that are super hard to see because of the other plants. The plants are all thriving and showing new growth! I use a 10 watt Nicrew cheap light, because I didn't want the tub to be TOO bright. I purposely chose low-light friendly plants for this reason. The pot is dirted with organic potting soil capped off with sand. I also added a broken up indian almond leaf so the water looks nice and tinted. I run a sponge filter and appropriate air pump for the water volume. The water parameters are perfect! temp at 76-77F, nitrates 5ppm, nitrites 0, ammonia 0. PH is about 7.5 (readings between 7.4 and 7.6 on API liquid test kit). KH= 7, GH= 9.

I got 5 sparkling gouramis and put them in the pond after acclimating them over 1 hour. They are young sparklers, not showing their full adult coloring, but large enough to feed flake food and frozen baby brine. After adding them, I have a hard time SEEING them. I think in my quest to make a nice, planted tub full of dark hiding places, I made an invisible fish habitat. My only worry is that I can't monitor if they are eating well, or if they are still alive. I carefully poked through my plants, but didn't see them. I think they may be hiding in the driftwood I set up in the middle of the tank as a kind of territory divider.

I've never kept sparklers before. When they become more comfortable, will they come out a little more? I keep a acrylic lid on top of the tub when I'm not watching it, taking photos of it, because I've heard sparklers are jumpers.

Thanks,

Cho
Forgot to add, the lid has holes for air! it covers most gaps, and i stuck a media sponge in the gap between the light and the lid to prevent any escapes.

Magua
Oh, that's so pretty!!! Hope your sparklers come to the surface to visit you!

Chobin
Magua said:
Oh, that's so pretty!!! Hope your sparklers come to the surface to visit you!
Thank you. I hope they visit me too. I want them to know i'm their fish-mom, not a predator. :(

Chobin
An update-- I saw a pair of them when I went to feed brine shrimp this morning! The water parameters look good, so I am assuming all five of them are alive and well, just hiding near the bottom. Two of them were brave enough to come out of cover for frozen brine shrimp. Hoping they learn not to be afraid of me! :)

Mudminnow
Chobin said:
Thank you. I hope they visit me too. I want them to know i'm their fish-mom, not a predator. :(
Well, in time, you can at least become the food god.

wrs2
I really don’t think sparkling Gourami are the best choice of fish for a pond like this. The sparklers will likely stay closer to the bottom except when coming up for air and they are rather shy and timid fish. Rice fish would be a better option as you’d see them a lot more often.

Chobin
wrs2 said:
I really don’t think sparkling Gourami are the best choice of fish for a pond like this. The sparklers will likely stay closer to the bottom except when coming up for air and they are rather shy and timid fish. Rice fish would be a better option as you’d see them a lot more often.
You are absolutely right! Or maybe even something small and brightly colored. However I have some good news! Three of the five have been coming up to check me out during feedings. I have hope we will establish a relationship of trust!
Here’s a photo from the video I took! When he flashes back down there was a blinding rainbow glitter. This is what I love about these guys. Little sparkling fish ninjas!

AverageAquarist22
Ooh, this looks like a fun project! Sparkling gouramis are one of my favorite fish (based on looks and the research I’ve done, I haven’t actually kept them yet!) Following for sure!

Top Bottom