Indoor grow out ponds

dmk164

Does anybody have any ideas on the cheapest way to filter some indoor ponds that I am using for cichlid grow out tanks keep in mind they will get regular water changes in the bottom cleaned out regularly

John58ford

How many gallons per pond?

Nikn

The cheapest and most simple way would be with a sponge filter. You can buy them on amazon for really cheep. You will also need an air pump for the sponge filter.

dmk164

John58ford

The easiest cheapest way would probably be to sacrifice 5 gallons of space. Drill a ton of holes or skeletonize the side of an old 5 gallon bucket. Wrap the bucket with a layer of cheap poly fill, rubber band it or tie it with strings, it's a pre filter. Put a heavy soda can size stone and a cheap ~750 gph pump in the bottom of the bucket with a chunk of 1/2" hose running up and out. Pour a pile of rinsed cheap lava rocks from home depot on the pump, sink it into the tub and call it a filter. Run the hose across the tank and use a "tee" to diffuse the water, or get artsy with it and make a spray bar.

New 5 gal, $4
750 gph cheap Amazon pump $25-35 (I have had great luck with Jajale)
1/2"id thin wall vinyl hose .50 per foot, 3-5 feet, $2.50
1 cu ft lava rocks $5-10
Polyfil $2

~$50

The pump is the expensive part, but an air pump to run multiple 120 gallon tanks plus sponge filters wouldn't be cheap either. With the 750 gph pumps you audio have great water change tools if you ever break these grow outs down. Now if you already have, or just really want anyhow, a monster air, pump you might want to go that way.

dmk164

awesome thanks what do you mean soda size stone? air stone?

John58ford

dmk164 said:
awesome thanks what do you mean soda size stone? air stone?
Just a heavy (soda can/pop can/coke can size) stone/rock to make sure the bucket stays sunk.

Lava rock tends to be near neutral so it may try to let the bucket float.

dmk164

Gotcha awesome awesome advice I’m gonna makb5 of em I found tubs at tax 110 gallons

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom