Indirect Sunlight

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Mike A, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Mike A

Mike A Valued Member Member

I have a 5 gal that I'm using to nurse a couple of small swords back to health. Will 9 hours of indirect and 3 hours of direct sunlight be enough to grow them? I have them right next to the window. thanks

2. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

I think it would be ok, just watch for algae growth.

3. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

That sounds like it will work. My son brought a sword in to his school tank. The tank gets far too much direct sunlight but in 2 months the the plant got twice as tall and twice as many leaves. Odd since its considered a low light plant.

4. sassymomma

sassymomma Well Known Member Member

I noticed that if it gets enough light, the leaves are rounded out.....lower light=long, thin leaf

I bought one with leaves like baby spinach, and now it's tall and thin lol

5. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

My sword isn't doing its best.

Can I put it in a larger container, and grow it in sunlight?

6. sassymomma

Try giving it root tabs- makes a big difference to sword plants

7. OP
    OP
    Mike A

I stuck in an amano to help with algae. It remains unfiltered. How often do you think i should change out the water? So far ive been doing about 20% nearly every day which seems like it might be more than is necessary.

8. sassymomma

Do you have a test kit? You could change any time you see trace ammonia show up

9. OP
    OP
    Mike A

Yeah i do, its just at my other house which means id have to bring it back and forth

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice