Indica Rotala

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Ziabis, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Ziabis

ZiabisWell Known MemberMember

I have about 30 shoots of this plant.

Some shoots have what appear to be a fungus that drifts in the current.

It does not appear to be killing any plant, but I would like to know what it is?

Any ideas? 100_2627.jpg

Its very hard to see but if you blow the picture up and look in the red
    boxes you can sort of see some fluffy stuff on the leaves.

2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

3. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

ZiabisWell Known MemberMember

Awesome research skills you have. That is probably my biggest problem is trying to find the correct answers to my questions.
    It seems it may either be "Brown" or "Fuzz algae " I'm leaning towards Fuzz algae.
    I don't have enough light yet, but I did order a brand new T5 dual bulb fixture and bulbs. Should hopefully get it today or tomorow. And secondly, people tell me that I should
    get some coradora, but I struggle with getting the correct type of cleaner or algae eater? I have almost no algae at all except for this Fuzz Algae. People say to get Corries, shrimp. I am really confused on what would be best to get...

4. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Since you are adjusting your lighting, you may not have an issue with algae after a while. Since the algae isn't too severe, I would consider adding some Nerite Snails. To my knowledge and experience, Cory Cats really do not help when it comes to algae issues. They are fun to have though :).

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/fwbrnerites.htm

If you really want a fish for algae control, space permitting, my female Bristle Nose Pleco does a great job. However, if the tank is planted, some of the weaker/thinner leaved plants (such as Wisteria) may be munched on big time. Thick leaved plants should be ok.

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_bristle.php

Ken