Indian Dwarf Pea Puffer

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi everyone, I have some questions about the Indian Dwarf Pea Puffer.

I have a 50 gal planted community tank of mostly nano fish (furcata rainbowfish, rasboras, neon tetras, guppies, endlers, etc). The largest fish is my lone female dalmatian molly. I also have 5 adult mystery snails (all about the size of golf balls), and a giant rabbit snail.

Here's the thing. I have an infestation of pond snails that is driving me INSANE. No matter what I do, I can't get rid of them. I even have some assassin snails in there who are doing their level best but just can't keep up. They're so overwhelmed, they haven't so much as crawled near the mysteries.

Would the Indian Dwarf Pea Puffer be a good fit for this community tank? I like that they eat snails, so I'm hoping they would help with the pond snails. I could give the assassins to my lfs then. But I did read that even though these pea puffers only grow to 1" as adults, they can be aggressive/territorial.

Will they attack any of the other fish? I know they will likely go after the few shrimp I have, but at this point I'm so frustrated with the pond snails that I would be willing to get more shrimp later.

-Sofia-

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
PatientStars said:
Hi everyone, I have some questions about the Indian Dwarf Pea Puffer.

I have a 50 gal planted community tank of mostly nano fish (furcata rainbowfish, rasboras, neon tetras, guppies, endlers, etc). The largest fish is my lone female dalmatian molly. I also have 5 adult mystery snails (all about the size of golf balls), and a giant rabbit snail.

Here's the thing. I have an infestation of pond snails that is driving me INSANE. No matter what I do, I can't get rid of them. I even have some assassin snails in there who are doing their level best but just can't keep up. They're so overwhelmed, they haven't so much as crawled near the mysteries.

Would the Indian Dwarf Pea Puffer be a good fit for this community tank? I like that they eat snails, so I'm hoping they would help with the pond snails. I could give the assassins to my lfs then. But I did read that even though these pea puffers only grow to 1" as adults, they can be aggressive/territorial.

Will they attack any of the other fish? I know they will likely go after the few shrimp I have, but at this point I'm so frustrated with the pond snails that I would be willing to get more shrimp later.
Pea puffers are very small and adorable but the are VERY territorial towards each other if not given enough space (5 gallons per puffer) so your tank is plenty big but you have other fish in it. Personally a pea puffer should only live alone or other pea puffers.

Have you heard about a snail trap though? I think it is an empty water bottle with veggies in it. I know many people on this forum have dealt with snail problems so maybe someone with experience could help

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
-Sofia- said:
Pea puffers are very small and adorable but the are VERY territorial towards each other if not given enough space (5 gallons per puffer) so your tank is plenty big but you have other fish in it. Personally a pea puffer should only live alone or other pea puffers.

Have you heard about a snail trap though? I think it is an empty water bottle with veggies in it. I know many people on this forum have dealt with snail problems so maybe someone with experience could help
I saw the snail trap mentioned on here once but haven't tried one. Thanks for letting me know about the pea puffers, I won't go that route. Don't want to make anyone unhappy!

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
kettlekorn13 said:
You could do some sort of the smaller loaches to get rid of them instead of pea puffers
Is there a particular type of loach you would recommend? Like a clown or yo-yo?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom