Indian Almond Leaves?

taylormarie213

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello! I was thinking of occasionally using almond leaves for my Betta and 10g tank for the shrimp.
Where is the best place to buy them?
I heard a lot of people buy them from eBay. Who’s your seller? I want to make sure they are good quality!
Also, how long should I soak them or boil them to get rid of some of the tannins before I put them in? I don’t want my tank to get a dark amber or brown.

DoraCory

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I bought some on amazon for not very much, they were by Sera, which is a known fishkeeping brand. I just gave mine a quick rinse off with some de-chlorinated water I had on hand and popped a leaf in the tank.

Last edited:

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I've never used them but one of the fish stores I go to sells them by the leaf.

They're pretty thin so I feel like boiling them would just break them. I'd just rinse it in dechlorinated water and put it in the tank. If it turns the tank too brown, you can always take it out and do a water change.

aoiumi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The tannis are a large part of what you want in the tank. They're what help. You can use this tutorial to get them in concentrated form, so you can control how much goes in your tank. Homemade Betta Spa

I'm guessing that you might have been planning on it also being a food source for your shrimp. I have no clue how well that would work, just know that some will like leaf litter, and in that case you could just use a half a leaf or so.

Make sure there's no carbon in the filter to get the benefits!

taylormarie213

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The tannis are a large part of what you want in the tank. They're what help. You can use this tutorial to get them in concentrated form, so you can control how much goes in your tank. Homemade Betta Spa

I'm guessing that you might have been planning on it also being a food source for your shrimp. I have no clue how well that would work, just know that some will like leaf litter, and in that case you could just use a half a leaf or so.

Make sure there's no carbon in the filter to get the benefits!
I have the Aqueon Quiet Flow 10 filter which does include carbon. How do I change it or remove the carbon? What media should I use then?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
you can keep the same cartridge just cut a little hole and shake all the carbon out then get a bag of polyfill and wrap the catridge with it then when you do filter maint. just keep the frame of the cart. and put a new piece of polyfill on it.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't drop entire leafs into my tanks i take a single leaf and tear pieces off and drop a few pieces in as soon as i finish my WC's so i don't see much tannins from them and the stem in the middle makes for a nice lil piece of wood to hold a baby java fern or anubis with an elastic so it has a lot of purposes

DoraCory

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just break up a small leaf and drop it in my 10g, barely see any change in colour with regards to the water.

Spyder

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have the Aqueon Quiet Flow 10 filter which does include carbon. How do I change it or remove the carbon? What media should I use then?
Pretty similar to my TopFin SilentStream 10 and I modded mine using the DIY HOB Thread also. I kept the filter floss by cutting around the plastic frame of the cartridge filter and removing the carbon pebbles from inside. I put a fluval filter sponge in the filter's reservoir with the old filter floss in there with it. I then bought the smallest bag of Fluval BioMax ceramic media available and even had to cut the bag open and remove a few ceramic rings - followed by zip tying the bag shut after so that it would fit.

Once you've done this life is pretty easy. Once you're cycled, toss the floss and just maintain the sponge/polyfill that you use. During water changes, take the sponge/poly and give it a gentle massage in the bucket of waste water and put it right back!

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I got a box of 100 large leaves off Ebay shipped from Germany. Cost me 30$ if I remember right. Not sure if links to sellers are allowed. But probably the more you buy the better the price like a lot of things. Share with your friends or I keep my leaves in the freezer. But I also have 8 tanks going atm.

At any rate, I totally suggest them, I have them in all my filters in a media or DIY pantyhose bag. I do this because I'm not a fan of the leaves flaking (breaking down everywhere) and I siphon my substrate.

Oh maybe I missed you don't like tannins. I do and you'd get some if you put it in the filter or by the flow fyi.

Debbie1986

Valued Member
Reaction score
I make my own, but use magnolia leaves

Excellent video on tannins in general

I followed her info on how to make my own. They lasted nearly 5 months and I'm ready to make more soon.

how I did it:
-use dried leaves on ground
- no treatment/chemicals on plants

nearly rolling boil 20 minutes on stove top
move to & let sit in a sealed mason jar 48 hours
free tannin leaves

Top Bottom