Indian Almond Leaves Ok With Cory Catfish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Butting in here just to get advice on the different benefits of different leaves. Oak vs almond vs catappa....so many options.

HelloKittyPowa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
@WTFish? well, I use catappa and after doing research about it before purchasing, the benefits of it fits what I need for my betta which is to prevent fungus and it also relaxes the betta. I feel like it also makes my betta more active. I've read of people adding oak leaves to lower their ph. I've also read from Indian Almond Leaves .com "Indian almond leaves are rich in compounds produced by the tree to protect itself against bacteria, fungi and similar organisms. Because of this, it has been speculated that adding Indian almond leaves to an aquarium will decrease the risk of disease in the tank or even help fish." "Quercetin, a type of flavonoid found in Indian almond leaves, is for instance considered anti-inflammatory and has antioxidant properties while several other flavonoids present in these leaves – such as kaempferol – decrease the risk of developing certain types of cancer. I don't really think there's much of a difference between Oak, Almond and Catappa because all 3 provide the same benefits from what I been reading.

Last edited:

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@WTFish? well, I use catappa and after doing research about it before purchasing, the benefits of it fits what I need for my betta which is to prevent fungus and it also relaxes the betta. I feel like it also makes my betta more active. I've read of people adding oak leaves to lower their ph. I've also read from Indian Almond Leaves .com "Indian almond leaves are rich in compounds produced by the tree to protect itself against bacteria, fungi and similar organisms. Because of this, it has been speculated that adding Indian almond leaves to an aquarium will decrease the risk of disease in the tank or even help fish." "Quercetin, a type of flavonoid found in Indian almond leaves, is for instance considered anti-inflammatory and has antioxidant properties while several other flavonoids present in these leaves – such as kaempferol – decrease the risk of developing certain types of cancer. I don't really think there's much of a difference between Oak, Almond and Catappa because all 3 provide the same benefits from what I been reading.
Wow, super informative. Thanks so much. I have oak leaves just because that’s what’s in my yard. I thought of the other two if more beneficial. Quercetin is also what is in turmeric I believe? I use that for us and our dog so yay! I think I’ll order some for my cories. Thanks again.

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Uhhhh Catappa and Indian Almond are the same thing.

Those decay a bit slower than oak and beech and release a bit more tannins doing so.

So

tannins : Catappa / Indian Almond
Cheap : Oak / beech
Thanks Dutch, I know you use oak but do you also use Indian? I didn’t know those two were the same thing.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sure why not? I use leaf litter that I get washed ashore. I also threw in a few Catapa leaves. The Catapas last longer.
20181210_154625.jpg

OP
Chandell

Chandell

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
6CD6D62B-5D09-4504-99FD-B24BB9AAD0AC.jpeg
Sure why not? I use leaf litter that I get washed ashore. I also threw in a few Catapa leaves. The Catapas last longer.
View attachment 509677
Washed up on shore...nice. I have to order on amazon. I just got them, I’m so glad someone mentioned that to me. I really have not much of an idea what to put in there! Only the plants on the right side are real. And I put one of those leaves broken in half in there. I’m also wondering if my tank is too crowded for my seven cories?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Weekly

Votes: 35 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 10 18.5%

Top Bottom