Indian Almond leaf as treatment for fishes

zeebo
Hi,

I discovered the Indian Almond Leaf that some aquarists use for treating their fishes.

I google-d and found many have used it on treating their Bettas with great success. Some have also used it on discus, angels and other types of fishes.

Apparently, its inexpensive and very effective except that it will lower the pH of water.

Has anyone here tried it?

MissMTS
I haven't tried it, but it sounds very interesting. I'll have to do some research on it. Thanks for sharing!

COBettaCouple
I've not been able to get a bag of them, but I have heard they are good for fish like that.

capekate
One of my LFS has them in their tanks. Seems that they put a leaf or two in most of the tanks, some were without. So possible its ok for some fish and not others. They sell it too but didnt ask the price.
You thinking of getting some?

zeebo
HI MissMTS, COBettaCouple, & capekate,

Yeah I was thinking of getting some and I went to buy them today.
Its approx. AUD1 for 1 big leave. I bought 10 for AUD7.20 (cheaper in bulk).

LFS says:
1) not for African Cichlids (forgot to ask if its ok for salt water aquarium)
2) to leave the Indian Almond Leaves for a month or so
3) it will make the water yellow
4) remove carbon and Purigen if any when using the leaves

I am going to drop the leaves in after I do my next water change.

If it turns out to be effective, maybe I should plant one myself.
Don't know if it will grow in Australia but and don't know where to find the seed.

Australia is very particular about importing plants.

capekate
HI Zeebo
thanks for those links.. I do remember reading that the almond leaf was very good for Betta fish as well.
Let us know how it goes... ;D

Allie
I have indian almond leaves in with Casper and in our angelfish tank. We use them tanins but we didn't have enough...now we have a bunch of dead rotting leaves.

capekate
I have indian almond leaves in with Casper and in our angelfish tank. We use them tanins but we didn't have enough...now we have a bunch of dead rotting leaves.

Did you change out the leaves every few months?

Allie
Did you change out the leaves every few months?
We just got them a month ago. I don't think I am going to bother getting a bag of them tho. Not until we actually get discus.

zeebo
Hi,

LFS advise taking the leaves out in approx. 1 month.
Some aquarists change or remove the leaves in a couple or few weeks I google-d).
Also when the leaves disintegrate, its also time to change or remove them.

zeebo
HI All,

Update:

I didn't find the leaves made any difference. Maybe I have to add more leaves and do this on a regular basis. I will stop using the leaves. Thanks.

Alessa
when I use the extract (not the actual thing, haven't been able to get my hands around them) my betta starts making bubble nests like crazy and seems much happier!

zeebo
HI Alessa,

I am aware some Betta Lovers swear by it.
I don't have any Betta so I don't know.
With my other tropical fishes...no impact from the leaves.
I only note that my 2 Bristlenose/s will chew on the leaves.

Alessa
I believe, that if it is a fish, like a gourami, that is used to the same conditions of a betta, will probably like it...

zeebo
Thanks Alessa

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
FishBruh12
Replies
Views
BettaNovice101