India Biotope

Wobbegong
So I am planning on setting up a bunch of aquariums in my house, a 40 gallon, a 29 gallon, a 20 gallon , a 10 gallon quarantine and an india biotope aquarium. right now I am focusing on the biotope aquarium. I am planning it to be between 10 and 25 gallons heavily planted with rotala. As for the fish I am planning to stock it with asian stone catfish, scarlet gem badis and honey gourami. Does anyone have any advice or commentary on my plan.

Advertisement
junebug
By Asian Stone Catfish, do you mean Hara jerdoni? There are a lot of fish native to India that would work if you do a 25 gallon (pea puffers would be fun). Regardless I wouldn't keep Hara jerdonI in a tank with Scarlet badis, for reasons of everyone getting enough food.

An Indian Biotope is fun, though. Scarlet Badis are found among dried leaf litter and root systems in the wild (I've seen collection photos from someone's backyard, where there is a year-round pool housing scarlet badis). You will need to plan on feeding the D. dario live food, as you'll almost certainly get wild-caught fish that will not eat prepared foods. I found mine enjoyed scuds, daphnia, and blackworms. If you keep them well-fed, you can probably get them to breed if you have females.

What species of rotala are you planning on?

Also, be prepared to add driftwood that looks like plant roots, and leaf litter on the substrate. Floating plants also come in handy if you're going for a slow-still water biotope.

Advertisement
Wobbegong
Thanks for the advice, I am planning to start a blackwork culture soon. And I do mean Hara jerdonI by asian stone catfish. Are there any other small non competitive fish that could live in the tank?

junebug
How many scarlet badis are you thinking of keeping? They look great in groups And that will help determine what other bottom-feeders you can have.

Just as an FYI I keep blackworm cultures in my wild betta tanks, just right in the tank with them. It seems to work really well. If the fish get hungry, they go hunting for worms in the sand, plus the worms help aerate the sand.

Malaysian Trumpet snails help too

Genghis Karp
Or you could use the 40 gallon, secure the lid very well, keep the temperature 20-25 depending on season, put loads of plants in and keep the water changes down to 10% per fortnight maximum and put a group of 5 Rainbow snakeheads in. They're awesome.

Sorry, Edit. If you're in a country that allows them.

junebug
Or you could use the 40 gallon, secure the lid very well, keep the temperature 20-25 depending on season, put loads of plants in and keep the water changes down to 10% per fortnight maximum and put a group of 5 Rainbow snakeheads in. They're awesome.

Sorry, Edit. If you're in a country that allows them.

We aren't, sadly Too bad, because Snakeheads are amazing.

I've been thinking about it a bit and in a 25 gallon, you could probably do a group of scarlet badis and the Asian stone cats. It should be enough room for all of them to get some food. Keeping a shrimp colony in the tank with them still wouldn't be a bad idea.

Advertisement

Wobbegong
Well I will probably be very modest in stocking. Depending on the tank size 4-8 would be what I would stock.

junebug
4-8 of each? I would go with odd numbers if it were me.

Have you considered a small schooling species? It might look nice if you do the larger tank for the biotope.

Wobbegong
Well 25 gallons is as large as I am going to make it, 20 is probably more doable. I guess 5 badis could work. But I am intrigued as to what other species I could place with them?

So what other small uncompetitive bottom dwellers from india would be suitable?

Wobbegong
maybe finding fish from southeast asia would be easier to find.

Advertisement

junebug
India is more challenging, therefore more fun

In a 20 gallon tank I think you could do Asian Stone cats and D. dario. As long as there is a live food colony to sustain the dario you should be fine with that. Then you can supplement with live worms and gammarus shrimp.

Sorry, when talking about both I had 10 gallon in my brain and I can see one or the other eventually starving to death in a 10 gallon.

In a 20 gallon, I think your original stocking plan sounds brilliant. D. dario, Hara jerdoni, and honey gouramis

NightShade
Gotta show us pics when you get it set up... that should be made a rule! Lol

Seriously, I would love to see pics when it's up and running... love all biotopes!! And build threads are awesome!! I can't wait to see an Indian biotope tank, because it has definitely crossed my mind to make one myself. I have seen some, but it's not a 'theme' that's commonly done.

Wobbegong
Alright, I can't wait to set it up.

NightShade

Advertisement

Vichu
I would suggest school of melon barbs
Which are native to southern india and would do great when in 6 or above

Security Check Required
For your reference there is an Indian biotope tank at this page down the line

Wobbegong
What is the scientific name of the melon barb?

Vichu
Haludaria fasciata it is

385d2f530eb593909c34082ee1ee661f.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
BottomDweller
Replies
Views