1. Amazon Prime Day!
    Attention Amazon Prime Members: Not to miss deals on lots of products for 36 hours starting July 15!
    Go here: Amazon Prime Day Deals
    Dismiss Notice

Increasing Stock Number Question For Schooling Fish Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by JMcC, Jun 19, 2019.

1. JMcCNew MemberMember

Okay, so I know you're supposed to only increase the tank by a few fish at a time...for schooling fish, do you count them as 1 fish of say 6 neon greens, or 6 fish? Can I add 6 little schooling tetras and a bristlenose? Or is that too much? I only have 2 fish in my tank right now, and I was going to start the quarantining in a 5G tank (to later move to a 20G with a DG and molly)

2. FahnFishlore VIPMember

You can add 3-4 small fish now and more later, you don't have to add the whole school at once, especially if the tank is immature an just finished cycling.

3. DonthemonWell Known MemberMember

4. Jayda97Valued MemberMember

you can add 6 at once:) i did my tetras 6 at a time and im doing my corys 4 at a time

5. imbaWell Known MemberMember

If you really need to, you can add 6 neons at one go, a 20g with thats cycled should be able to cope. But I wouldnt add the tetras and Pleco at the same time. Give it 3 weeks or so, after the tetras,before adding the Pleco.

6. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

I recently added 12 Vonrio tetras to my 55 without a glitch. So as long as you have a well established tank with good filtration there shouldn't be a problem filling your schools up. IME