Question Increasing Stock Number Question For Schooling Fish

JMcC

Reaction score
Okay, so I know you're supposed to only increase the tank by a few fish at a time...for schooling fish, do you count them as 1 fish of say 6 neon greens, or 6 fish? Can I add 6 little schooling tetras and a bristlenose? Or is that too much? I only have 2 fish in my tank right now, and I was going to start the quarantining in a 5G tank (to later move to a 20G with a DG and molly)

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You can add 3-4 small fish now and more later, you don't have to add the whole school at once, especially if the tank is immature an just finished cycling.

Donthemon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would add them all at once. Small bioload. Add some Seachem stability just in case and keep up with your water changes

Jayda97

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
you can add 6 at once I did my tetras 6 at a time and I'm doing my corys 4 at a time

imba

Well Known
Reaction score
If you really need to, you can add 6 neons at one go, a 20 gallon with that's cycled should be able to cope. But I wouldnt add the tetras and Pleco at the same time. Give it 3 weeks or so, after the tetras,before adding the Pleco.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I recently added 12 Vonrio tetras to my 55 without a glitch. So as long as you have a well established tank with good filtration there shouldn't be a problem filling your schools up. IME

New Threads