Increasing GH in fish tank

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by DaFobZ, Dec 11, 2016.

1. DaFobZ

DaFobZNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone, I'm planning to have about 7 Red Cherry shrimps in my fish tank. Here are the details:

-Tank: 29 gallon
    -GH: 7 dh
    -KH: 7dKh
    -pH, Nitrate, nitrite, ammonia: will test later... hoping to keep pH 7.5 or higher and other parameters zero.
    -Temperature: 76 degrees F
    -10 balloon mollies, 2 ghost shrimp and 4 tetras... planning to make a divider to divide half the tank for red cherry shrimp

My question is:
    1) What is the ideal pH for Red cherry shrimp to breed and proliferate?
    2) Can I increase my GH, with this seashell I got from the beach (picture attached) and should I blanch it first?
    3) What do you think of my set up?image

Please help, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,157
    Experience:
    1 year
    HI welcome to fishlore.

First you don't want all the parameters to be zero. You want ammonia, and nitrite at zero. Then nitrates should be 20 or less when it's a cycled tank. I suggest reading up on the Nitrogen Cycle (<--- click those words).

Mollies need at least a twenty nine gallon and since you are dividing the tank in half the mollies won't have enough room. Not to mention 10 balloon mollies would be way to much bioload for this tank, even without the divider.

What kind of tetras were you thinking? Just to let you know tetras are mostly schooling fish and need to be in groups of at least six. I'm unsure how compatible tetras are with mollies.

I personally wouldn't mess with your GH. Both your GH and KH are high enough to produce a stable ph. A stable PH is better then one that swings around. Most fish can adapt to different PH, except for maybe wild caught fish or sensitive discus.

3. OP
    OP
    DaFobZ

DaFobZNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello clk89,

Thank you for your swift response and input .

I forgot to mention:

For plants: I have 3 anubias, 2 Amazon swords, 5 by 5 inches of java moss.

For filtration: I have 2 sponge filters attached to a 40 gallon air pump, and a large aqueon hang on the back filter. I plan on attaching an extra sponge filter to a 10 gallon air pump and put it in the tank as well.

I recently did a 20% water change two days ago, so my levels of ammonia, nitrate and nitrite should be fine. I will test it later this week, and also bring my water to petsmart.

I will take your advice, and probably sell my 4 tetras for store credit, and sell some of my mollies in the future. My mollies are still babies at the moment, with some at 0.5 inches.

Overall:
    -Let's say I have only 2 ghost shrimps, 7 mollies, 7 red cherry shrimps, equipped with all the plants, filtration and water parameters mentioned above. As well as providing the Red Cherry Shrimps Indian almond leaves and shirakura shrimp food.

Will my Red Cherry Shrimp thrive and massively proliferate? Sorry for the long post .imageimageimageimageimage

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  4. clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,157
    Experience:
    1 year
    I'm honestly not sure if Mollies would eat the shrimp or not. Hopefully someone else will come along with an answer to that.

I would do a smaller school of mollies though, maybe three. They are a very messy fish and can spike up those parameters quickly.