Increasing Freshwater General Hardness

jbandjimmy

Hello all!
I’m new here and I’m needing some help. I recently bought a 40gallon setup with intent to upgrade from my 20gallon. I set the new 40g up and let it run for about a week, and then began the fishless cycling process. It is now almost exactly the same parameters as the old tank, except the general hardness was much lower and the alkalinity was a tiny bit lower. I researched and watched videos and I couldn’t find any kind of chemical aquarium additive that would help. What I decided to do was to get a small bag (10.14floz) of fossilized Aragonite meant for marine and african cichlid tanks. My tank now has mollies and the water is very hard, so I’m thinking that the small amount I’ve put in the 40g tank shouldn’t be a problem. My tap water is also very soft so I’m not sure if doing a water change would help.
Did I do the correct thing? Is there an easier way? TIA

carsonsgjs

Aragonite will increase gh and kh, albeit fairly slowly. Something like seachem equilibrium will raise gh when the right dose is added if you are after a quick fix. A few questions though -

Have you tested the water for dgh for both tanks as well as your tap water, so you can see how much you need to raise it by? It may not be completely necessary depending on your results.

What are you using to make your current tanks water hard if your tap water is soft?

Upvote 0

jbandjimmy

Aragonite will increase gh and kh, albeit fairly slowly. Something like seachem equilibrium will raise gh when the right dose is added if you are after a quick fix. A few questions though -

Have you tested the water for dgh for both tanks as well as your tap water, so you can see how much you need to raise it by? It may not be completely necessary depending on your results.

What are you using to make your current tanks water hard if your tap water is soft?

I was looking at the Seachem Equilibrium because I use their other products and I love them. I will have to look into that as well!
As for my water, I am honestly not sure how my original tanks water was able to get such a high hardness. I personally never added anything specifically for hardness. The only thing I can think of that might play a factor into the hardness is that I occasionally add Cuttlebone into the filter to raise the calcium levels up for my shrimp.

Upvote 0

carsonsgjs

I was looking at the Seachem Equilibrium because I use their other products and I love them. I will have to look into that as well!
As for my water, I am honestly not sure how my original tanks water was able to get such a high hardness. I personally never added anything specifically for hardness. The only thing I can think of that might play a factor into the hardness is that I occasionally add Cuttlebone into the filter to raise the calcium levels up for my shrimp.
The cuttlebone will have an impact on gh over time so theres the culprit it seems. I like seachem products too - i use their cichlid lake salts to raise gh for my shelldwellers but equilibrium will be fine for what you need it for i think, if you even need it at all.

Upvote 0

jbandjimmy

The cuttlebone will have an impact on gh over time so theres the culprit it seems. I like seachem products too - i use their cichlid lake salts to raise gh for my shelldwellers but equilibrium will be fine for what you need it for i think, if you even need it at all.
today i slowly added the fish into the new tank after acclimating them to the water and they seem to be fine so far! Mollies are pretty hardy little fish so hopefully they will not be effected by the difference in hardness until i can get my hands on some equilibrium. Thank you so much for your help!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ryngwrayth
  • Question
Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views
CTYankee79