Increase Co2 Without Co2 Bottle

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Florian Pellet, Apr 11, 2017.

1. F

Florian Pellet Well Known Member Member

Hey all,

is there a way to increase CO2 in the water without relying on some depletable resource? I mean DIY CO2 setups last for 1-2 weeks before you have to 'recharge' them, pressurised CO2 can go for 1-6 month depending on the size of your bottle... But in the end, you have to recharge something.

Is there a device / a setup that would allow for CO2 addition without having something to 'recharge'? Everything else in my tanks is automated: food (feeder), light (timer), water changes (overflow), cleaning (crew)... I have very few things to do. I end up doing things only when I want to (which is still often enough to allow for good maintenance). When I have a more permanent home, I'll even (probably) automate dosing of ferts.

The only thing that bothers me is CO2...

2. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

I've never of a device such as what you are talking about.

My suggestion is getting a larger CO2 canister tank (20 lbs) that last longer another option is to get 2 20 lbs canister tanks, you'll have a backup ready when the canister runs out.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed. All tanks require some repetitive work. How much maintenance are you doing? As tanks are closed systems, they require regular intervention. There's no way around that, no shortcuts or automations.

4. OP
    OP
    F

Florian Pellet Well Known Member Member

Well all my automation is described above. The drip system is the biggest time saver. I just gravel-vac when I need nutrient-rich water to water my plants :) Basically, nothing feels like a chore with all this! Just biking 5k to get a CO2 refill annoys me...

5. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Get a bigger tank. I think my father in law ran his co2 for at least 2 years and it still had heaps. On a 75 gallon tank. Just hide the 5 foot tall welding tank in a nearby closet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice