Incorrect Fishlore Profile

1. James95 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    I was browsing through the fish profiles and found some misinformation. The profile for silver dollars states 20g is the minimum. Most members here would agree that silver dollars need a much larger tank. Preferably 55 gallons or larger. Just figured I'd point this out. We don't want to give anyone incorrect stocking information :)

2. Landozer18 Well Known Member Member

Good eye

3. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Personally I don't think it is incorrect I think one silver dollar would be ok in a 20, I wouldn't recommend it as they seem to prefer much larger schools and larger tanks but then again who doesn't like more friends and more room.

4. James95 Well Known Member Member

My reasoning isn't so much about adult fish size, but instead about temperament. In such a small tank they can become very skittish and will continually ram themselves into the tank sides. But that's just my opinion.

Maybe it doesn't need to be changed...?

5. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I do agree that the tank does seem a little small and maybe there needs to be an addition put in for its skittishness and the reasons for it. As with all profiles in any area its listed as a one fish in the tank kind of profile, if we really wanted to make things seem a bit better none of us would have tanks as the fish would never be "happy" with what we want for them. But thats a horse of a different color.

6. James95 Well Known Member Member

I agree. Maybe it just needs a small
    Amendment :)

7. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I agree 100% that it needs to be changed. Silver dollars require a school which demands a much bigger tank. We shouldnt give advice on how to keep 1, as that wouldnt be proper.

8. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Ideally they need a 100+ tank but for a minimum I'd say 55 to start out in. I kept 3 in my 55 at one point then got the 125. I told myself I would never put them in a 55 again, not even 3 of them.

9. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Good points guys - I updated it to be "55 gallons but preferably much larger since they should be kept in schools."

10. snapper Well Known Member Member

I appreciate it, Mike, because I was about to have a chat with the teacher at my kids' school who handles the fish tanks. All the angelfish and bala sharks (FACEPALM) in the 30 gallon hex died, so now she's got some clown loaches and silver dollars in there. Aye yi yi.