Inconsistent CO2 Regulator

• Thread starter gray_matter16
  • Start date

gray_matter16

HI all,

Lately my co2 guage has been acting inconsistently. It is a single guage regulator, so I'm wondering if it has to do with that? I have it set with a timer to turn on at 1:30PM, and then lights turn on at 3PM. When I get home at 4PM though, I find that my bubble counter is putting through a crazy amount of co2, like so fast I can't even count. I'm guessing it's between like 20 and 50 bps. So I turn it down to my tank's best level which is about 3 bps. I have a 75 gallon heavily planted freshwater tank. After I turn in down it works acceptably for the rest of the day until 8PM when the co2 shuts off. The next day, when I get home at 4PM, I find that the bubble counter at barely 0.5 bps. So I turn it back to the 3bps, and the next day the cycle starts over again. I'm going back and forth between getting home to find the co2 pumping way too much, or not nearly enough. This only started happening within the last few weeks and I've had the regulator since March.

Thankfully, the only impact this is seeming to have on my tank is a bit of hair algae growth. I'm thinking it has to do with the inconsistent co2 levels.

Anybody had this issue before?

Coradee

Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some responses today

gray_matter16

I got a dual guage regulator for Christmas but it didn't solve the issue. The same thing is still happening. Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

I've read about some stuff how the pressure of co2 in the tank is different than the pressure outside, so that impacts how quickly the co2 comes out...or something? I'm not totally sure. All I want is one, consistent, co2 output.

The question is why, even though the guage stays at the same position, does co2 output at different rates?

Top Bottom