Inbreeding a thing with fish?

DerekO24

Is inbreeding a thing with fish ?

Demeter

Yes, it’s often called line breeding and it’s how we get specific color strains and fin types. Not much different than developing a new breed of dog.

Upvote 0

flopperfrog

i’m pretty sure yeah, it’s a thing with shrimp too! it’s recommended to add a couple of new shrimps every once in a while if you breed shrimp to add diversity
although i don’t think it’s as bad as with like dogs, i would avoid it

Upvote 0

RayClem

It is definitely a thing. That is how specific traits are developed and reinforced.

Unfortunately, along with desirable traits, undesirable traits can also be reinforced. Thus, inbred populations are often less healthy than wild populations that have a wider genetic distribution.

The same thing happens with all species when inhbreeding occurs. An interesting historical note has to do with the House of Hapsburg, a very prominent royal familys in Europe for about 800 years. Because the family wanted to preserve their royal lineage, there was significant inbreeding among family members. One of the results was a distinctive genetic facial deformity called the Hapsburg jaw.

Inbreeding Caused the Distinctive 'Habsburg Jaw' of 17th Century Royals That Ruled Europe

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ruud
  • Question
Replies
Views
chromedome52
Replies
Views
Ssnaaiil