Inari's water situations

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I did some testing today i've been testing about once a day usually in the middle of the day mostly i've been getting results that i have expected low numbers to zeros on the items that are measured in conentration:

here is what i got today:
Nitrates: 5.0 ppm
Nitrites: 2.0 ppm
pH: 8.2-8.4
Ammonia: 0-.25 ppm
Temp: 81

any ideas on what is causing this

yesterday my readings were:

Nitrates: 0 ppm (i have never seen Nitrates so far)
Nitrites: .25 ppm (steady for the last few days)
pH: 8.2
Ammonia: .25 ppm (has been steady for the last few days)
Temp: 79

is this a bad thing going worse or just a normal thing considering that part of my Bio-Spira was probly dead?
thanx

Inari

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You have to get Nitrates for the cycle to complete and the 5.0 is not a bad reading at all. The Nitrite reading however is not good. a reading of 2.0 is too high. It should not get above 1.0. Your ammonia is starting to decrease and that is good, but I think you need to do a 30% water change (about a third) to cut down a bit on those Nitrites. You won't get them down all the way but perhaps down to a manageable level 1.0 or below.

Everything else looks okay.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
How often should I be changing the water then is this a one time thing and see where it goes?

I can't do it today I it is lights out for everyone in the tank right now but first thing in the morning I will be
thanx

brent

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Until the parameters are: Nitrate less than 10.0, Nitrite 0, and Ammonia 0 when you check them daily your tank is not fully cycled. Unless the Nitrates are high in your drinking water right out of the tap, which it doesn't sound like they are as your Nitrates are not that high, you will change the water whenever the following happens (other than the usual changes of course) ANY ammonia readings, Nitrites over 1.0, and Nitrates over 20.0. Otherwise just do your daily testing and change the water on your normal schedule. Eventually the Ammonia will be at 0 Nitrites will be at 0 and Nitrates will be below 10.0.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
well my ammonia finally droped to 0 the others are still fluxuating

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It is on the way then, just be patient and do the water changes if the other parameters get above the high levels. Good luck. Sounds like everything is going well.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I just had a nitrate spike it went up to 10.0 today after the water change ugg what would cause this all i have is Inari and two un named bamboo shirmp so confused

brent

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do not know how much biological load shrimp put on a tank but it could be that the tank is having a hard time keeping up with the extra inhabitants just yet. It is a new cycle and pretty fragile as yet. The Bacteria are going to struggle for a bit keeping up with a fish load since you believe that the Bio-Spira you got may have not been full strength. It is like you did a partial fish induced cycle instead of a fishless one and it is not quite as strong as one that is fishless or done with full strength Bio-Spira. It is okay at this point, just don't let the Nitrates go over 20.0 for any reason and better to keep them below 10.0. Of course, you may want to test your tap water. My tap water tests between 40 and 80 straight out of the tap so it could be a momentary problem at your water treatment plant if you have recently added any water. Also if your nitrite levels have gone down substantially, that could also signal the close to the end of your cycle as the nitrites would have been converted to nitrates and that could have made the spike, but you did not tell me what the Nitrites were. If they were 0 then I would say it was just the conversion of the Nitrites. If the Nitrates stay at 10.0 and go no higher then probably your cycle is over as long as the Nitrite is 0 and Ammonia is 0.

Do I have you confused? If so please feel free to tell me. I am betting it is close to the end of your cycle and nothing to worry about.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
from what i keep reading in the water chemistry article that is how i'm understanding it my current test results as good as they look are as follows

Nitrates: 5 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Ammonia: 0 ppm
pH: 8.0 (.4 drop from yesterday **** is up with that?)

other than that everything is going pretty well minus the fact that i have to keep my Bamboo shrimp under almost 24/7 watch on was trying to crawl up the filter intake to get out i have a lid put i'm sure they are craft enough tho inari is a little snitch he flares at them when they are on the inakes when they get close enough to the glass i'll get a pic of them they are kind of idk odd looking to say the least but a hand full kinda like inari who likes to pick on them when no one is looking lol
thanx for all ur help rose

brent

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your cycle is complete. The nitrate spike was just the last of the Nitrites being converted to Nitrates before they disappeared. Congratulations!

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
woot

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have had Marty, the 2 Otos (Dopey, and Dingbat) and Ivory (the Mystery Snail) in a 5 gallon bucket with a filter, heater, plants, decorations, and a fluorescent light (all the ammenities of home) while their tank gets de-pond snailized and last night before bed I saw something about 6" from the front door on my wood floor and went to check it and it was IVORY (the snail). He had crawled out and slid across about 20 feet of floor before I caught him. He went into another tank. (with a lid) The fish are fine as they do not even come to the top except for Marty at food time.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
well atleast ur invert was found i lost a bamboo shrimp yes i lost him he is no longer in the tank tho the smaller one hyrda is

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As much as I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, you do realize that Bettas will occasionally eat shrimp.  Not often that I have known of but they are a favorite meal in the breeders tanks.  These are different kinds I am aware but just be aware that Inari may have had a rather large supper and may need some peas. I am sorry about your shrimp and I do hope for all your sakes that you can find him. He may just be hiding to avoid Inari. I hope so.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
let me ask u this not to sound like a smart ** * but this shrimp was about as long as inari is not to mention 2x as fast do u still think the little dude became dinner...I do know that bettas like shrimp but if he ate Kappa then y hasn't he eaten Hydra and why isn't there any remains of Kappa like a leg or some such thing?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i do not know that he did just that it has been done before. ???

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
i do appreciate the advice i'm just trying to plug any holes in ur reply..

Does anyone know if a 2" betta would eat a 2" bamboo shrimp? If so does anyone know how to pump a fish's stomach cause that is about 2 months worth of food right there

thanx

brent

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
got another water issue ugg ammonia is at 0 ppm but the nitrates are at 10 ppm and that is AFTER a non routine water change this is the second one in two days and nitrates are still high what is up with that still cycling?

also inari keep brushing against plants and 'jumping' away any advise?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Actually the 10.0 on the Nitrates is not that bad. You do not want it to go higher than that and don't get too worried about the tank fluctuating a little while the filter is newly cycled especially after water changes.

As far as the "brushing" goes, watch him. He has been a cool water fishy for a long time and you got by without having him have any of the cool water diseases, but "brushing and flicking against items" in the tank can be a sign that he is "itchy or ichy" If he starts to have little white spots or anything on him that looks different, be sure to bring it to someones attention so that he can have the problem corrected. If there is nothing wrong he will quit it in a day or two.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I Have noticed that his head usually black with a blue tinge has changed to brown spots should i worry about this?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom