Inactive Nerite Snail

seamonkey102

I got a racer nerite snail about a week ago and I was wondering if nerite snails are nocturnal. Mine barely moves during the day but at night, it seems to teleport. I don't know if this is usual nerite snail behavior because I've never kept one before and the ones I saw on a friend's tank were pretty active. One reason why I got them was mostly because of algae in my 10g. Can't really tell a difference after a week and there wasn't even a lot to begin with. There's usually a trail of teeth marks if a nerite is eating algae but I can't seem to find any. At first I thought it was because it was adjusting but after a week, I'm not so sure.

Broggy

I got a racer nerite snail about a week ago and I was wondering if nerite snails are nocturnal. Mine barely moves during the day but at night, it seems to teleport. I don't know if this is usual nerite snail behavior because I've never kept one before and the ones I saw on a friend's tank were pretty active. One reason why I got them was mostly because of algae in my 10g. Can't really tell a difference after a week and there wasn't even a lot to begin with. There's usually a trail of teeth marks if a nerite is eating algae but I can't seem to find any. At first I thought it was because it was adjusting but after a week, I'm not so sure.
they aren't nocturnal. are there any fish in the tank? they could be hiding in their shells because the fish are trying to eat it.

Upvote 0

seamonkey102

I got 6 guppies but they don't even look at the nerite. Also, I don't know if it's hiding in it's shell. As of today, it's been attached sideways to a rock for the past 14 hours.

Upvote 0

KayBee3

Nerite snails actually are nocturnal. Its normal for them not to move much during the day.

Upvote 0

Broggy

Nerite snails actually are nocturnal. Its normal for them not to move much during the day.
that's news to me, thanks for correcting me.

Upvote 0

seamonkey102

Oh. I was hoping to watch them in action but I guess I won't be able.

Upvote 0

nanoist

Oh. I was hoping to watch them in action but I guess I won't be able.
Sometimes you’ll see them out during the day. Depending how hungry they are they’ll put in overtime. Lol. But for the most part they hide when aquarium lights turn on

Upvote 0

Cue

What’s your temp? Sometimes if it’s high lowering it gets em going. They also take their sweet time adjusting, one of mine didn’t move for two weeks after we got him and he’s completely fine.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Plantedtank2021
  • Question
Replies
Views
sairving
  • Question
Replies