Inactive Nerite Snail

seamonkey102

I got a racer nerite snail about a week ago and I was wondering if nerite snails are nocturnal. Mine barely moves during the day but at night, it seems to teleport. I don't know if this is usual nerite snail behavior because I've never kept one before and the ones I saw on a friend's tank were pretty active. One reason why I got them was mostly because of algae in my 10g. Can't really tell a difference after a week and there wasn't even a lot to begin with. There's usually a trail of teeth marks if a nerite is eating algae but I can't seem to find any. At first I thought it was because it was adjusting but after a week, I'm not so sure.

Broggy

seamonkey102 said:
I got a racer nerite snail about a week ago and I was wondering if nerite snails are nocturnal. Mine barely moves during the day but at night, it seems to teleport. I don't know if this is usual nerite snail behavior because I've never kept one before and the ones I saw on a friend's tank were pretty active. One reason why I got them was mostly because of algae in my 10g. Can't really tell a difference after a week and there wasn't even a lot to begin with. There's usually a trail of teeth marks if a nerite is eating algae but I can't seem to find any. At first I thought it was because it was adjusting but after a week, I'm not so sure.
they aren't nocturnal. are there any fish in the tank? they could be hiding in their shells because the fish are trying to eat it.

seamonkey102

I got 6 guppies but they don't even look at the nerite. Also, I don't know if it's hiding in it's shell. As of today, it's been attached sideways to a rock for the past 14 hours.

KayBee3

Nerite snails actually are nocturnal. Its normal for them not to move much during the day.

Broggy

KayBee3 said:
Nerite snails actually are nocturnal. Its normal for them not to move much during the day.
that's news to me, thanks for correcting me.

seamonkey102

Oh. I was hoping to watch them in action but I guess I won't be able.

Top Bottom