Help Inactive gold fish with stringy poop.

bigbird2170

Reaction score
I bought a baby calico rancu goldfish about four days ago. On the first day he seemed fine he was active and seemed fine until the next day when I feed him. as soon as he ate a pellet(Hikari lion head)he got super lethargic and just sat for a long time and he's been doing the same thing since. every once and a while he will do a lap around the tank and then go back to the same spot and sit just above the gravel. when he sees food falling he goes after it and gets 1-2 pellets but as soon as it hits the gravel he loses interest. he hasn't pooped much but the little that he has done starts with a clear stringy mess and ends with a small light brown poop. This sounds like internal parasites from what I've heard but I'm not 100% sure. If you can identify the sickness from this if any what meds would you recommend?

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
bigbird2170 said:
I bought a baby calico rancu goldfish about four days ago. On the first day he seemed fine he was active and seemed fine until the next day when I feed him. as soon as he ate a pellet(Hikari lion head)he got super lethargic and just sat for a long time and he's been doing the same thing since. every once and a while he will do a lap around the tank and then go back to the same spot and sit just above the gravel. when he sees food falling he goes after it and gets 1-2 pellets but as soon as it hits the gravel he loses interest. he hasn't pooped much but the little that he has done starts with a clear stringy mess and ends with a small light brown poop. This sounds like internal parasites from what I've heard but I'm not 100% sure. If you can identify the sickness from this if any what meds would you recommend?
Sounds like it might be. What are your water parameters and what size is your tank?

OP
B

bigbird2170

Reaction score
20 gallon with the goldfish as the only inhabitant. a ph of about 7-7.2 it is not super accurate because I'm using strips and zero nitrates, nitrite or ammonia. I did put in bottled bacteria to cycle the tank in the three days before I got him.

Lebeeze

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I recommend doing daily 50 % water changes and dosing with seachem prime, it will make any ammonia or nitrites in the water non toxic until the tank is fully cycled. If you didnt use existing cycled media in your filter when setting up the tank it is impossible for it to be cycled in 3 days. Just keep up the water changes and prime until you start to see nitrates rising, when you start seeing nitrates you mr cycle is pretty much done, it might be another couple days to fully complete but you want to see 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and only nitrates

Do what I said above and the fish shouldn't get anymore harm.

As for parasites i have no idea about those so sorry i can't help you there.

Lebeeze

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
bigbird2170 said:
I did a big water change and started dosing with general cure.
General cure will not detoxify ammonia and nitrite though, what water conditioner do you use?

NevermindIgnoreMe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would feed him softened greens, he is probably a big constipated. Also for parasites, treat with aquarium salt and I would use MinnFinn. It is the broader spectrum goldfish treatment I have seen and it works well while being a more natural alternative.

NevermindIgnoreMe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You can blanch yes, but I just keep lettuce in the freezer and give them a leaf. It will almost immediately soften when it hits the water. I use rinsed, homegrown lettuce leaves in a container lined with paper towels that I keep in the freezer.

OP
B

bigbird2170

Reaction score
yea he is looking better but you are right about him being constipated so I feed some peeled peas and he took really well to that. ill try some other leafy greens tomorrow morning.

New Threads