Inactive clown loach

1. Janmitch22 Member Member

Alright, so a couple of weeks ago I bought some clowns. Three of them ; they were all about an inch long. Now I've seen one of them lying on its side, only swimming halfheartedly when another fish bumps into it while playing or something. But soon after the group leaves, it will roll back onto its side.
    It doesn't "snuggle" with the others...it has always sought shelter away from the group. I tried dropping food in (bloodworms, then flakes), but the response is minimal. I've seen it try, but I don't think it's eating much.
    I can't seem to net it, either, for quarantine. It usually squeezes into a corner in the back, or underneath the heater, or sometimes it dares to hide underneath the pleco as it rests above it across some rocks. Wherever it is, getting to it is a job and it stresses out everyone (including me).
    I just tested my water:
    pH: 7.0-7.2
    ammonia: 0ppm
    nitrite:0ppm
    nitrate: 10 ppm

While I was testing, the little one tried to forage underneath a rock, but it wasn't fooling anyone. It gave up after a few seconds and rolled right back onto its side. Oh, and there are no marks or blemishes on it. Ideas, anyone?
    I don't think this one is one of the jumpers. A couple of weeks ago, after I put them into the quarantine tank, two of them jumped out over the next two days. I'm pretty sure that this guy was the only one to remain inside because it barely moves.

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Jan is he skinny looking or just smaller?
    Carol

3. Janmitch22 Member Member

Yes and yes! Compared to its brethren, it does look skinny. And it makes him look smaller than the others, although he wasn't the smallest at purchase time.  The others have all gained color (blacker stripes, more orangey-ness) and this one remains pale, almost cream-colored between its stripes.  He's a bigheaded little guy, but his body tapers very sharply. I can't see the stomach like I can with the others...probably because there is nothing in it. Gaw, is this the skinny disease? Sure sounds like it once you gave me that prompt.

4. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

5. Janmitch22 Member Member

Yes, my loach sounds like the ones described. I didn't even think to put this in the fish diseases section, my bad. Hopefully I can track down some Maracyn I and II today. I looked for levamisole yesterday, but came up empty handed. And the Petcos I searched were also out of Maracyn I and II, can you believe it? But the loach made it through the night, so I just hope it holds on until I can get my hands on something for it. It's rarely upright anymore, but when I turn on the light or poke it a little, its gills start flapping. Sounds like a trooper to me!

6. Janmitch22 Member Member

So much for that...he kicked it last night. :'(

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Jan I'm so sorry :'( How are the others doing?

Carol

8. Janmitch22 Member Member

The others seem fine. They're active, eating, tingling with anticipation over the caves I may or may not build...lol