Inactive Blue Shrimp? Help 

FloydtheBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey everyone.

I added 11 blue dream shrimp to my 6.8g betta tank about a week ago and so far I haven’t noticed any of them dead. My tank is extremely heavily planted though, so I only see around 4 at a time and I could have missed any potential bodies.

About a day after I put them in the tank I noticed a molt that appeared successful.

My concern is that when I do see them they aren’t as active as many shrimp I see online seem. They usually are just picking at something near them and I hardly see them move around.

I’ve given them a few shrimp pellets once, an algae wafer once, and a blanched zucchini slice once (the latter two were shared with my snails) and they ate all of those. I also have biofilm on my driftwood they can graze on at their will.

I test my water around 3 times a week and change whenever it seems needed.
My parameters are:
Ammonia: 0 (reads .25 but all water I test gives same reading)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
Ph: 7.4-7.6
Temp: 77-78.5 F
No kh/gh test
Cuttlebone piece added.

One possible issue is I have the filter flow at lowest setting for my betta (not enough oxygen for them?) but I do have LOTS of plants.

Pics of tank below.

Thanks for reading my long post!

Attachments

JtheFishMan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Your parameters sound about right.

The only thing I could think of is that your tank has so many plants, that your shrimps don't need to move as much to get food. All their food is right in front of them, so you may not see them move throughout the plants much.

Also, like you said, your tank is heavily planted, so they probably are moving around, maybe you just can't see them doing so.

FloydtheBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
JtheFishMan said:
Your parameters sound about right.

The only thing I could think of is that your tank has so many plants, that your shrimps don't need to move as much to get food. All their food is right in front of them, so you may not see them move throughout the plants much.

Also, like you said, your tank is heavily planted, so they probably are moving around, maybe you just can't see them doing so.
Great to hear, thank you! It does seem like they are always picking on the plants they just don’t have to go far for food so that makes sense.

Also, just took a closer look at my tank where they like to hang out and noticed 2 new molts. So my guess is that a lot of them have molted since being added to the tank and are being extra hidey.

I’ll give it another month and hopefully they’ll start multiplying so I see more of them!

JtheFishMan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes, seeing successful molts are always good to see, as they signify good growth, and for females, to become sexually mature.

Marimo

Reaction score
When I first got my shrimp, they didn't come out for 3 weeks at least! They were hiding and every once in a while, I'd see one come out. (I think the shipping might have been hard on them, too.) They are very active now, but at certain points in the day they take "siestas." Everyone is hiding somewhere sleeping. At night mine seem to be more active.

Your tank looks awesome for shrimp, with all of those plants.

JtheFishMan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
From research online, it seems more often for shrimp to become active at night, but mine seemed to be more active in the morning. It just depends.

JtheFishMan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
From research online, it seems more often for shrimp to become active at night, but mine seemed to be more active in the morning. It just depends.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom