Inactive Angel Juveniles

Sedna

Hi!
I have 2 tanks currently, a 55 gal set up as a community tank with angels, gouramis, a goldfish, common pleco, two tetras, and two juvenile striped raph cats. And a 20 gal tall with 2 juvenile angels, and 1 weather loach juvenile.

Originally in tank #2 (20 gal.) we had 3 angel juveniles, but the blushing angel died before we had her/it for 24 hrs. (We named her Nimbus, everybody gets a name!) Because of Nimbus passing we have been keeping a close eye on the two remaining angels (Marvel, and Orla), we added Slinky the weather loach after Nimbus passed, and rarely see him (Substrate hider).

Orla (See pictures below) is very active and likes to engage with us at the glass, is a great eater, all around very healthy in behavior. Marvel is the one I am curious about. I am assuming he is eating, but I personally have not seem him eat much of anything. He'll let food float by his face, stare at it and Orla will swim up to him and eat it instead. He doesn't leave the heater often either, and I catch him either staring at it, or staring at the top of the water. If he does come to the front of the tank, he doesn't stay long, and it's usually with Orla by his side, or he'll stick to a corner and stare up again.

Is Marvel's behavior (See pictures below) okay? I'm new to juvenile angels. One of my adults (Moe) seems to stare off into space himself but he still is an active eater/swimmer, which prompted my questioning on if it was normal, or if I need to do something more for him.

Alternatively, could he possibly have bad eye-sight?

jake37

What is the temp of the tank? He is behaving like it is cold - try setting the heat up to 80 (which is a bit warm for the loach). If he isn't eating when you put food in the tank he is sick (or cold).

Sedna

jake37 said:
What is the temp of the tank? He is behaving like it is cold - try setting the heat up to 80 (which is a bit warm for the loach). If he isn't eating when you put food in the tank he is sick (or cold).
I believe the tank is set for 75 and we talked about turning it up to around 78 which is what our 55 gal is set to. I will double check if it's 75 or 78 though. Would he still be cold even though the other one is acting just fine/uneffected by temp?

jake37

Well warmer water is better in most cases for a sick fish. It is really hard for me to guess 'how' he is sick but the fact that he moves to the heater suggest to me he wants warmer water. He could very well have something more serious and hopefully someone else will chime in. Having said that when my water is cold the fishes do drift torwards warmer water and 75 is a bit on the cool side to begin with. I know folks keep their angels at 75/76 - i personally lean torwards the warmer end. I also know when we had a power outage and the tank got to 70 the fishes refused to eat and generally were unhappy.

Sedna said:
I believe the tank is set for 75 and we talked about turning it up to around 78 which is what our 55 gal is set to. I will double check if it's 75 or 78 though. Would he still be cold even though the other one is acting just fine/uneffected by temp?

Sedna

I see. I'll be adjusting the heat to probably around 77/78 range like I keep my big tank.

Unfortunately though, Marvel has started doing barrel rolls in the tank... He goes up, then all the way down to the bottom then up, sideways, and then rolls over 3-4 times.. They're in my QT tank, so I don't have another one to put Orla, and Slinky, or him into currently..

jake37

It is probably a bacteria infection that requires immediate treatement but i'll add bizaliz3 who knows more about angels than myself.

Sedna

jake37 said:
It is probably a bacteria infection that requires immediate treatement but i'll add bizaliz3 who knows more about angels than myself.
By 4 AM this morning, Marvel passed. I'll be watching the other Angel and the Loach very carefully for any symptoms in them, and speaking with the store I got them from, and another that gave me good advice on medication for my other tank previously. Thank you for your advice.

jake37

The one positive thing is that healthy fishes are more resistant to diseases so with luck your other critters will be fine. Still i would warm the water a little.

Sedna said:
By 4 AM this morning, Marvel passed. I'll be watching the other Angel and the Loach very carefully for any symptoms in them, and speaking with the store I got them from, and another that gave me good advice on medication for my other tank previously. Thank you for your advice.

Sedna

jake37 said:
The one positive thing is that healthy fishes are more resistant to diseases so with luck your other critters will be fine. Still i would warm the water a little.
We did up the temp last night, it's reading 77/78 now. I really appreciate your advice on raising the temperature. I'm hoping Orla and Slinky are healthy and stay healthy, but I'll be watching them for the next month really well to be sure they don't have any symptoms.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom