Inaccurate Measurements During Water Change?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by XenoMarc, Apr 11, 2017.

1. XenoMarc

XenoMarc Valued Member Member

Hello and I'm in a bit of a pickle.
    I'm in the middle of a 20% water change of my tank ( ) during a cycle of my neon tetras and I will be doing a water change every 2 days.
    However, after removing 48 litres from the tank and dumped 42 litres down the drain, saving 6 litres to clean my filter tomorrow.
    I measured 12 litres with a measuring jug and put 12 litres of tap water in a bucket.
    Before I added the water de-chlorinator, I need to add 1.2 millilitres of it to the tap water, but the measuring cap for it only starts at 5 millilitres which is very inaccurate.
    My ammonia+nitrite digester also requires 1.2 millilitres and the measuring cap starts at 1 millilitre which is a bit more accurate.
    Can I put measure the water de-chlorinator in the ammonia+nitrite digester cap?
    Is there any other way to measure it accurately?

I need help ASAP please.
    Thanks.

2. BluMan1914

BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

Don't make water changes so complicated and precise.
    Whatever water you take out, just replace with tap water, and temperature match as close as you can. Once the water is replaced, add your de-clorinator, and dose for the full volume of your tank.

3. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

You can use the one cap, just rinse well and dry each time. I use a syringe that is meant for dosing medication for children. They can be found at the drug stores.

4. jtwizz

jtwizz Valued Member Member

I also use medication syringes when I need smaller doses.

5. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

For right now - use the same cap, but rinse really well. I dose dechlorinate for the full volume of the tank and over dose a bit since it is much easier for me to measure that way. As other posters have said - sounds like you would benefit from a child's medicine dosing syringe. Good luck!

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I prefer to dechlorinate the new water before adding it, rather than adding the water to the tank and then dosing the entire tank. It saves on dechlorinator. That said, a little extra dechlorinator (so 2 ml instead of 1.2 ml) is fine.

7. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

You can use syringes to be more accurate. However, after you've done it a few times, you'll realize that it doesn't hurt to dose more than needed, which would be a few more drops or a few more mL. And even when dosing more, there is still a lot left, meaning that the bottle you have bought, can still take a long time to get used up. So in short, don't worry too much about being so accurate for the dosage.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice