First Tank. Freshwater 29 Gal TopFin starter tank. It's been running for just shy of four months. I tried to do a fishless cycle. I used store bought drift wood (from a tank), bacteria starter, and a water conditioner (which I didn't realize had an ammonia remover inside it). -4 Weeks- After four weeks I added a male Swordtail, female Marble Lyretail Molly, and female Panda Platy. The molly died by the end of the weekend so I decided to just keep taking things slow. I kept up with weekly water changes 10%-20%. -10 Weeks- The sword and the platty kept going strong so after six weeks everything looked good so I bought three male Guppys. -12 Weeks- Two weeks ago the terrace I had started falling and wouldn't stay up so I replaced it with a new decoration to hide the hoses for my decorations. I rinsed it with cold water like I was supposed to. Realizing a lot of bb probably was lost when the terrace left I stepped up my weekly water changes to 25% assuming ammonia may spike. -14 Weeks- Everything was going well until something didn't seem right on Friday. One of the guppy's started gasping at the surface. I checked my ammonia and it was at 2ppm. I immediately started 50% daily water changes. Before each change I checked the ammonia and each time it was holding steady at .5ppm. In the last 24 hours I've lost 2 of the guppys and the third one has started gasping at the surface as of this afternoon when I got off work. He's been acting "ok" after this evening's water change but so did the other two yesterday. It finally dawned on me today, four months later that my water conditioner has an ammonia remover in it. I'm wondering if my tank even had the chance to start cycling. Everything I've read suggests that unnecessary chemicals are not the way to go if it can be avoided so I immediately bought just a straight dechlorinator, no frills, just killing the chlorine and chloramine. After tonight's water change I decided to check my ammonia content again. It's still .5ppm after just over a 50% change. I checked the water coming out of my tap, which is county water NOT WELL and it's coming out of the tap at 1ppm. What do I do? Do I start buying distilled water till this tank cycles? Do I buy a really big brita filter? I'm at a complete loss... I'm frustrated and getting pretty mad as I'm about a grand and four months in and the only thing that has survived my 29 gal tank is a sword and a platty and a guppy that's probably gonna be belly up by morning... Sorry if I come off as a tool but I'm at my wits end, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.