In tank refugium next step??

The Cichlidae Guy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I set up my in tank refugium tonight, I definitely need to get my sump set up, this in tank supplies is really taking up space! Anyways I have about an inch of miracle mud in the bottom (Wow did that make a mess of my tank!), what's my next step? Macro algae suggestions? Thanks if anyone else has an in tank refugium set up id like to see some pictures =)

AmazonPassion

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Correct me if I am wrong, I think macro algae for refugiums are usually referred to a saltwater tank.

Stand corrected, for Saltwater tank

OP
The Cichlidae Guy

The Cichlidae Guy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
AmazonPassion said:
Correct me if I am wrong, I think macro algae for refugiums are usually referred to a saltwater tank.

For freshwater refugiums you would want freshwater plants or a Marimos. Aquarist has a freshwater refugium along with a sump and will give you some valuable pointers.
That's why I posted it under saltwater section...

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi,
I don't have any experience with Miracle Mud.

As for macro algaes, whatever you can get your hands on. Chaeto is one of the most common.

1971roadrunner

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, I had a 20 gallon full chaeto refugium (non-HOB) for some time for my 125g tank and definitely suggest you not go with miracle mud, just makes a mess (as you stated).

I found to get chaeto started/growing well the nitrates and phosphates need to be on the high side (a lot of light too) then once the growth starts with these conditions there is no stopping it and does then lower both some.

IMO and other keepers too that have successfully ran algae refugiums agree that there is a lot of hype on refugiums so I went with a Bio Pellet reactor (much better) and find BP much better/easier than these are. Chaeto works well but you will need a good amount of it growing and I had a lot of fun running it till I wanted better results, have fun and here are a few pics enjoy...

Beginning...
chaeto 2.jpg

Middle...
sick chaeto.jpg

End, in my newer overpriced sump...
chaeto in ruby 36.jpg

* my BP reactor worked so well after a few months it starved the chaeto to death, so long chaeto and thanks anyway!

New Threads