In Regard To Cory's Question

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by MargaretBetta, Apr 26, 2019.

1. MargaretBettaNew MemberMember

I currently have only one blue spotted Cory because we were not told they need to be in a group when we purchased him along with our Betta. My tank has now cycled and has been stable for a few days so it would be great to get him some pals. However, the pet store doesn't stock his type any more. Will he school with another type of Cory, the pet shop person said yes, I watched a YouTube video that said no. So which is it? We would really like to give him what he needs to thrive.

Thanks!
    Confused in Massachusetts.

2. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Could you place a pic of the one you have?

3. MargaretBettaNew MemberMember

This is Newman.

Attached Files:

4. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

wowwwwww Awesome and huge.
    I even have my doubts it is a C.melanistius (do you have a sidepic?)

There are a lot of species more or less the same and therefor sold / labeled under several names. I think it will like the company of some of those.

5. MargaretBettaNew MemberMember

Yep! LOL He is a solid three inches. I'll see if I can find a side picture for you.

6. MargaretBettaNew MemberMember

Side view.

Attached Files:

7. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

What an incredible looking Cory !!!

Think it is C.melanistius allright or a closely related C or CW number. Most melanistius don't have the black spine running to the top of the dorsal (some do).

What Corys are available? Are there other spotted ones ?

8. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Hmm you sure about melanistius, they don’t have the barring in the caudal?

9. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Some have hahaha. Again a cory with so many "appearances"
    But shape and dorsal points made.me doubt as well hahaha

10. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Hehe we need Ian here!

11. MargaretBettaNew MemberMember

Oh man! What did I buy?! Stupid Big Box Pet Store...

If I remember correctly there are Emerald, and Bronze available. As well as Pandas. I haven't seen any other Spotted ones. I'm leaning towards the Bronze because they most resemble him. If I can stick with a spotted species would that be best?

12. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Think it is a CW057

Shapewise it comes closer to emeralds.

But C.aeneus are always good company, though they won't really school. But my C.aeneus themselves don't really school.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2019
  13. MargaretBettaNew MemberMember

Which means what?

Sorry. I'm a super Newbie. :)

14. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Hi, some cory species haven’t yet been fully described so they’re given a number

15. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

That it hasn't a common name but just a "number" so far.

16. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Sorry we’re forgetting you wanted to know about other species you could get to go with him if no more of his kind are available
    I would have suggested C.trilineatus but you said your ifs has no more ‘spotty’ ones, in that case I’d go with the bronze

17. MargaretBettaNew MemberMember

Oh thanks! I'm loving all the debate though. I dove head first down the rabbit hole of fish keeping. This is so interesting! Do these big pet store chains just make up names? Like, how did I end up with this guy?

18. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

as said earlier : wild caught spotted Corys are mixed up a lot. There are no South American searching in books or the internet for hours to exact name these guys hahaha. Easiest way is to give them some specific name (often punctatus what means spotted in Latin).

No one cares. And to be honest I am glad about that cause it is fun to find out.

19. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

A lot of the time the lfs suppliers will give them a name so that’s what the lfs call them too. Unfortunately these common names tend to stick which causes quite a bit of confusion, especially when there are over 400 species of corys & many look very similar.... boggles the mind! lol

20. MargaretBettaNew MemberMember

Ah okay. I understand now. Thank you. Here's a better side view I found.

Attached Files: