In Praise Of Goldfish

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by BluePsion, Apr 22, 2017.

1. BluePsion

BluePsionValued MemberMember

I am the owner of a fourteen cent common goldfish. I bought this fish with the plan of finding out if there was a way to make my well water safe for my bettas and other fish. After many problems I had come up with the hypothesis that my water needed to be well aerated before being used. (This turned out to be true)

I didn't want to introduce disease into my tanks so I medicated him with antibiotics, ick cure, and a dewormer as part of the quarantine process.

Once he had recovered from the stress of the feeder tanks, he colored up. He's now a beautiful orange with silky fins. He seems to be enjoying his tank so much that the feeling is infectious. I'm a grumpy person by nature but I find myself smiling without realizing it just watching. It is hard to describe but pictures and video can't really do the living fish justice. He so active and friendly, and somehow playful. I was reminded yesterday while watching him that he really is just a baby animal, and like most baby animals, very cute.

It was amazing how quickly he learned to trust me and associate me with food. Just like my bettas and my dog, he's always happy to see me.

I've gotten so much pet for thirty or more times less then most hobby fish and that is amazing to me.

2. Windwolf55x5

Windwolf55x5Valued MemberMember

Goldfish really are cute. They are like the dogs of the fish world. They come in all different shapes and sizes, they beg for food, they're always happy to see you. They can be taught tricks.

And Bettas to me are like the cats or birds of the fish world. They like to strut around, show off, act big and bad despite being so small. It's adorable.

They both have such big personalities.

3. Redshark1

Redshark1Well Known MemberMember

I agree and if you keep your fish for 20-30 years or more they end up being even better value for money!

4. 2211Nighthawk

2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Mine was never a feeder goldy, but is still a comet. I've had him for 8 years about (stunted a bit from winterizing in a 20 gallon, didn't have a bigger tank at that time) so he's holding out at 8-9" mark. Yours sounds amazing you'll have to get pics.

Other then my loaches he is the funniest fish ever. He greets me, always gulping at the air for food (I know it's food because it's only when I stand directly in front of the tank) and has claimed only half the tank closest to me. I feel some days as he's rubbing his face on the glass that he would be in my lap if i let him. He often gets in the way of tank cleaning.

By a warning, that little feeder fish is probably the same as mine and will hit 18" long but they can grow to 2 feet. Mine in going into a 60g and is a little stunted but just a heads up.

Unfortunately no really good pics of him, he's a dang fast sucker.

IMG_3827.PNG

Meet Jupiter!

5. 2211Nighthawk

2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Oh yeah, reading a (scary) article. Apparently, this guy said that yes 10-20 years is the average lifespan but if taken care of, they can "easily" live 40 years!!

6. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Not a lot of people do.
    goldfish are sold by millions every year so there will die millions as well.
    Yesterday in a gardencentre.

OP : good job though I don't agree with meds as "prevention" c6c4acda77a44cda1260f1493e7d9ebc.jpg

7. Liz♡Gold

Liz♡GoldValued MemberMember

Goldfish are amazing! You get so attatched to them for sure. They're just so cute! They're definitely water puppies. Mine is always making me smile. I'm glad you have a little guy that makes you happy :happy:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice