In need of experienced fish knowledge

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by AquaFresh, Jul 30, 2015.

1. A

AquaFresh New Member Member

Blue ram in bad shape she seemed to of had a scrape or something on her forehead the other day and she was swimming around fine and eating fine but today I came home from work to this all dark looking real bad did some research and learned about fish tb this is stressing me out I read its rare but it's still a possibility any help on diagnosis will help a ton I don't want her to suffer and if it is tb I want to use alot of cation cleaning the tank.

Also my other fish are all acting normal and no signs of how she started so far.

She's clamping fins at times.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  2. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Perhaps Coradee would know?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

I think TB usually presents other symptoms like a deformed spine and won't attack and kill a fish like ich or dropsy would. Fish with TB can hang on for a long time.
    With that said I am no expert. As long as you wash your hands after tank maintenance and not share equipment from one tank to another you will be okay.

Can you try to get close ups of the head?
    How fast was the onset of illness?
    What are your parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)?

4. OP
    OP
    A

Been about a week since her head has been like that maybe hole in head.

Attached Files:

5. OP
    OP
    A

Heres when it first happened

Attached Files:

6. Nympxzie

Ouch! poor girl! it looks to be getting worse. How long have you had her? Have you done anything new to the tank like add more fish?

7. OP
    OP
    A

About 2 months I have had the rams I've added one cory since then. Yeah she's definitely taken a turn for the worse just looking for a cure she's going to the hospital tank and I'm gonna treat with melafix and aquarium salt not really sure what to do because idk what it is. Just hoping it's not tb gonna try and take precautions either way got some long gloves.

8. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Treat with furan2

9. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

TB has been a bit over blown by forums.

I doubt salt and melafix will fix whatever that is. It looks like some kind of rot. Maybe a fungus. I'm not good with diseases. I'd get some metro and see what that does.

10. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

I think that's hole in the head

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

I kinda thought that too. But to have such a large hole that grows that fast makes me think it isn't. But I honestly don't know.

12. Sarcasm Included

Metro will work but furan 2 is better, if you have any loaches you dont want to use metro.
    No it isnt TB
    Yes forums blow up TB
    And TB is much more fatal than ICH.

13. Nympxzie

Good info. When I said that TB is not going to kill a fish like ich I was implying that TB can stay with a fish longer and develop slower and is capable of staying with them long enough to have it transferred to other tank mates without noticing eventually leading to your whole tank having TB, would I be correct in saying this? or does TB kill just as fast (days-weeks) like ich and dropsy?

14. Sarcasm Included

It really depends on the species but it can range from a few weeks to years to show symptoms. You could even have it in the tank and never see signs of it. We are doing case studies in order to determine what conditions an infected tank has enough bacteria to become an outbreak.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice