In Need Of Advice For Dealing With Extreme Heat Wave

Megaanemp

Hello all,

My area is currently being hit a record smashing heat wave. For reference whats typically considered a very hot day here would be 28-30C ( 82.4- 86F), however we’ve very quickly been hit temps of 36-40C (96.8- 104F) and the govournemt issued weather warnings say the air feels closer to 46C (114.8F).

I have have quite A few tanks in the basement (which is fortunately half underground and slightly cooler. I am worried about my fish expending heat stress.

For the last 2 days mI’ve noticed the tanks reach their hottest a few hours after the daily high and are retaining a lot of the heat.

The tanks I’m currently most worried about are

30 gallon: current temp 27.8C (82F)
-neon tetras
-Bolivian Rams

30 gallon: current temp 29C (84F)
- Dwarf neon Rainbowfish
- Bolivian Rams
-Pygmy corys

75 gallon: current temp 27.8C (82F)
-Bolivian rams
-BN Pleco
-Harlequins
-Cherry Barbs
-Honey Gourami
-Sterba Corys

We Haven’t reached the daily high temp yet today and won’t for a few hours so if the trend continues the tanks may keep warming up until 1 am before holding steady.

I have unplugged all the heaters. I have tried floating ice it Is helping a bit but I can’t make ice fast enough and there is no Ice at any store. I could keep adding cold water to the tanks which I’ve tried but it isn’t making a big dent.

I could try doing 75% water chnages with cold water but I am scared to cause a temp swing as well.

The tanks that are lower to the ground are all holding at about 79F which is okay for now but they do have cool water Corys ans danios so if those tanks keep heating up that might be a problem.

Is it best for me to leave things be so I don’t shock them?
I will keep floating what ice I have in the warmest tanks.

Sorry this is so long! Im not sure if I’m over worrying or not, we’ve never had a heat wave anywhere close to this.

Advice is greatly appreciated!

carsonsgjs

I read about the canada heatwave today - 40c is no joke. Luckily (at least for us on this side of the water) we have awful weather.

do you run airstones on your tanks? With the temperatures being higher oxygen will be lower, so they will help oxygenate the water.

do you have any spare fans that you could use as well? Do your lights give off additional heat? If so, maybe turn those off/reduce them.

how about freezing bottles of water on rotation and using them?

Upvote 0

mattgirl

The best advice I can give is if they have lids remove them if you can. If you have HOB filters remove the lids on them. Keep the lights off. Even led lights can add heat. Situate fans so they are blowing across the top of the tank. Evaporation should help some. Replace the evaporated water with cooler water. Add extra aeration with airstones or sponge filters if you don't already have them running in the tanks. There is less oxygen in the warmer water.

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

I would do 5-10% changes with cool (not cold) water as needed.

As long as the water's oxygenated (with an airstone, or a filter pointed at the surface) the fish shouldn't be in extreme immediate danger. I'd do your best to keep temps under 86 - and I, personally, wouldn't drop it more than 2 degree's per water change per 30-45 minutes.

I'd be prepared for some possible illness in the coming weeks if things get too warm, but focusing on keeping things oxygenated and not boiling is probably all you can do for now.

Upvote 0

Basil

We are experiencing a bit of a heat wave here as well although not to the extent of yours.
I’m guessing your house is not air conditioned?
Do you have access to portable fans that you can aim over the tops of the tanks? Even if you rotated tanks, that could help.
And I would do water changes. If you’re worried about large temp changes, just do smaller changes.

With the increased pull on the electric grid, our power is blinking on and off about every 15 minutes. It’s insane!
I’m just waiting for the first filter to fail. Yes, they are all on surge protection strips but I’ve learned they can be overwhelmed by repeated power blips.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

With the increased pull on the electric grid, our power is blinking on and off about every 15 minutes. It’s insane!
I’m just waiting for the first filter to fail. Yes, they are all on surge protection strips but I’ve learned they can be overwhelmed by repeated power blips.
hopefully your filters will hold up.

Upvote 0

Axanna

Hello all,

My area is currently being hit a record smashing heat wave. For reference whats typically considered a very hot day here would be 28-30C ( 82.4- 86F), however we’ve very quickly been hit temps of 36-40C (96.8- 104F) and the govournemt issued weather warnings say the air feels closer to 46C (114.8F).

I have have quite A few tanks in the basement (which is fortunately half underground and slightly cooler. I am worried about my fish expending heat stress.

For the last 2 days mI’ve noticed the tanks reach their hottest a few hours after the daily high and are retaining a lot of the heat.

-neon tetras
-Bolivian Rams

- Dwarf neon Rainbowfish
- Bolivian Rams
-Pygmy corys

-Bolivian rams
-BN Pleco
-Harlequins
-Cherry Barbs
-Honey Gourami
-Sterba Corys

We Haven’t reached the daily high temp yet today and won’t for a few hours so if the trend continues the tanks may keep warming up until 1 am before holding steady.

I have unplugged all the heaters. I have tried floating ice it Is helping a bit but I can’t make ice fast enough and there is no Ice at any store. I could keep adding cold water to the tanks which I’ve tried but it isn’t making a big dent.

I could try doing 75% water chnages with cold water but I am scared to cause a temp swing as well.

The tanks that are lower to the ground are all holding at about 79F which is okay for now but they do have cool water Corys ans danios so if those tanks keep heating up that might be a problem.

Sorry this is so long! Im not sure if I’m over worrying or not, we’ve never had a heat wave anywhere close to this.

I’m dealing with the exact same issues the temp where I am is 41 rn and supposed to get t higher , ive inserted air stones and attached USB fans to point at the water and removed the lids.since adding the air stones I’ve been able to keep the water at 83.3 and 82.8 .yesturfay without the air stones my tanks went up to 85.8 I was so worried but air stones fans and no lid or lights help. Float some ice if it’s getting too hot aswell goodluck and stay hydrated yourself

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

Thanks so much for the replies and tips everyone I really do appreciate it:)

Ya this weather is nuts, we even had a family of crows come to the front door asking for water yesterday!

I am keeping the lights off in the room and on the tanks.

I do have air-stones running on all the tanks as well as hang on back filters (though the 75 gallon does have a canister). I think I will do a small water change with cool water (but not too cold) as suggested.
I’ve also got a fan running in there now. (Not above the tanks but I think it’s helping a little)

Ill take the lids off some of the tanks tanks, though the hottest tank with the rainbow fish probably has to stay on unless I can find a screen (they’re jumpers).

No one around here has air conditioning (me included) so hopefully for the sake of my fish there won’t be any outages and everything is plugged into surge protected power bars. So far so good on that front!

Apparently there is a chance it may cool down a degree or to tomorrow if we get some wind…fingers crossed!

Thanks again so much everyone!

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

Hello all,

-neon tetras
-Bolivian Rams

- Dwarf neon Rainbowfish
- Bolivian Rams
-Pygmy corys

-Bolivian rams
-BN Pleco
-Harlequins
-Cherry Barbs
-Honey Gourami
-Sterba Corys

Those temperatures are fine. Just turn off the heater and you can add extra air stones to help moderate the temperature and oxygen levels.

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

I’ve made some screen tops for the tanks I’m most concerned about,and will make more for the others if they get warmer. Im too worried about them jumping to have no canopy lol hopefully it helps!

Thanks again everyone!

Attachments

• 558C9A72-AEEB-4AC8-83D3-7C6960D0D3FA.jpeg
    558C9A72-AEEB-4AC8-83D3-7C6960D0D3FA.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 13
  • 9EBAC435-9EA8-41AF-988F-2EF496D7A32F.jpeg
    9EBAC435-9EA8-41AF-988F-2EF496D7A32F.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 13
Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies