in need of a new plant Question

1. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

I want to find something small that I can put on one side of my Low-light 5.5G shrimp/snail tank. I'm looking for something rooted in the substrate. My water parameters are: pH >7, mild hardness, temp around 77F. I currently dose with Flourish & Flourish Excel 1x/week with my WCs. Originally I was thinking of crypt wendtii or vallisneria spiralis. Would these work alright, or do you have any other ideas?

2. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

You won't be able to keep a val while dosing Excel, vals melt when dosed with the stuff. How small do you want, there are quite a few crypts that would fit the bill. I also like crypt pontederifolia, it is of similar size has pale green leaves that are wider than a wendtii's. Wisteria is also a easy plant, but it will require pruning to keep it the size you want.

3. Crissandra331 Member Member

From my understanding Vallisneria Spiralis gets pretty big, Crypt Wendtii I think would be a good one and they have a lot of color varieties, also Anubias Nana or some other kind of Anubia variety they stay small are good for low light and I personally have had good luck with them in my deep tank, where I lose a lot of light from the height

4. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Spiralis does get big, the only small val is the corkscrew val. But they all get killed by Excel, especially with it irregularly dosed like the OP stated.

5. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

looks like a crypt it is. I always confuse the vals and totally forgot about the Excel problem, thanks. I like wisteria and have had good luck with it in the past but it grew so much that it required a lot of attention.

6. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Not sure exactly what you tank is looking like, but crypt parva is a nice plant for a low light tank that is really short, somewhat grasslike. Some people use it to carpet, but that takes some patience because it grows as slowly as any other crypt.

7. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

it's for a 5.5G so that's about 10" high without anything added (say 9"). I don't care if it touches the surface or not, but would actually prefer it. So something around 8-9"-ish

8. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Brazillian pennywort.
    [​IMG]
    Ludwiga (plant on right)
    [​IMG]

Most stem plants will work. Most crypts will work.

9. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Here's a medium light 5g with crpyts.
    [​IMG]