In memory of Fat cat

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
This was my little kitty, I nicknamed him fat cat and it stuck. He was my favourite little boy! he got very sick and I had to put him down. I do miss him so, especially when i look at all your wonderful kitty pictures... well this is him with his best friend Drifter

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Both beautiful animals. Isn't it funny who they pick for friends Angus (my kitten) and Collin (my mini Dachund)(can't spell today) and Mia (my cat) are best buddys.
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
:'( :'( :'( WHY did this cuttest darling in the world have to die?! What happened to him? He was so beautiful! I can't believe it :'( :'( :'(

A while ago, a vet told me that my kitty was dying too and that I should put her to sleep or give her away to some shelter (she was 1 - 2 months old at the time). The vet said my kitty wasn't going to live to be even 3 - 4 months old. I didn't listen to the stupid vet (sorry to have used that word) and guess what. My kitty is already 8 - 9 months old and she's still here, seems very healthy and happy. I WILL NEVER put her to sleep! I love her beyond words.

Kerryve, all they need is a little love and care, and they'll live and thrive

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh I do miss my fat cat, he contracted cat flu, its very very bad, he has severe dihorrea and was vomiting he was so dehydrated that he wasnt able to substain himself. Basically for a little kitten of his size when they contract it - thats the end of it. I think its cos he went wondering into the open grass and played with the wild cats or something. It really was so heart breaking! I love him so much!!!

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
(((kerryve)))

Oh hun, I feel for you soo much. About 6 yrs ago my mom made me come with her to put down her cat who had persistent, recurring pneummonia. I begged her not to do that. All she had to do was bring him to the vet once a month to have the fluid drained off his lungs.

She'd hear none of it. She was determined to 'take him out of his suffering' (but he didn't look like he was suffering at all to me).

I cried. I did everything I could to change her mind. She couldn't afford the monthly vet bills...I think that was the biggest reason she felt she had to do that.

So I went with her. I couldn't stay in the room while they gave him the shot. Just as I was leaving, he made eye contact with me. It was like he KNEW what was going to happen.

6 yrs. later that image is still burned into my mind, him looking at me like that.

The vets will encourage euthanasia if they sense the owners don't have the funds for sustained treatment.

I decided then that I would never, ever put down an animal unless it was obvious to me that they were truly suffering.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Indeed, I know how hard it is.

Manicivy

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry about your little kitten, orange cats have always been my secret favorites! It's hard to make that decision to put an animal down but sometimes it is what is best for them and it seems you made the right choice. I work at a zoo and have had to see many animals put to sleep when they are just too sick and are not happy anymore. Find joy in your fish tanks and puppy Drifter, he is a real cutie too!

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
AesSedai ... this is such a sad story :'( I hate it when animals have to suffer. And although I understand that a vet can cost a lot and that it is too much money for many people, I don't think I could put any animal to sleep, even if I didn't have the money for the vet. I just couldn't get myself to do it. If an animal was suffering so terribly and visibly that it truly needed to be put to sleep, I'd have someone take the animal to the vet for me. I could NOT be there at the moment the animal was being put to sleep. I remember when my vet told me all of those scary things about my kitty - that she was weak and it was only a matter of time before she died, etc ... She also told me to put my kitty to sleep. I remember barely holding my tears at the vet's office. When I left the office I cried in my car. But after thinking at home, I said a definite NO to my vet. I told her: If she is to die, I want her to die at home with me, where she is surrounded by love. I said I wouldn't allow her to be injected with a poison and dying alone at an animal hospital. Animals are TERRIFIED of vets (I know this because my 2 cats are so afraid of the vet they literally tremble out of fear at the vet's office). And so we kept the kitty. That was about 7 - 8 months ago. She is still with us and looks very happy and healthy. (The vet told me she wasn't going to live to be even 3 - 4 months). I am so happy I have kept her. Even if it turns out at some point that she is indeed sick (which I really don't believe she is) then she will have at least lived a short life with people that have loved her. A short but happy life is better than none. I am against any kind of euthanasia, both on humans and animals (UNLESS life has become for them so painful and unbearable that they'd benefit from being euthanized ... In other words, when life becomes true ****).

Kerryve ... my kitty was also vomiting and had diarrhea in the beginning when I got her. This is exactly how my vet diagnosed her as well: She told me she was going to die 100%. I left her at the animal hospital for about a week, and took her home afterwards. She never vomited or had diarrhea again since then. And she looks healthy. The thing is when I bought her she was very skinny and malnourished, and when I took her home and gave her lots of food, she ate a lot and was extremely hungry. Because her body was exhausted and not used to a lot of food, I believe this is why she threw up and had diarrhea. She also had worms, for which she was treated, which could also have been the cause of diarrhea. While at the hopsital, they treated her for everything. She's perfectly healthy now. If I listened to the vet, I might have killed a healthy (only malnourished) kitten. Kerryve ... they all deserve a chance at life. I refuse to euthanize every animal as soon as it gets sick. Euthanasia is not the answer to every disease. Love, caring, and compassion are the answer. Medications and medicine are not everything. (Unless, as I have mentioned above, the animal is truly and visibly suffering).

Lastly, I couldn't look into my pet's eyes at the vet's office, knowing that I have willfully agreed for it to be killed. Imagine, what a betrayal the poor creature must feel at that brief moment before it dies :'(

Manicivy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Isabella, I agree that some people are a little quick to euthanize their pets for certain reasons like they dont want to spend extra time dealing with a special needs pet or maybe surgery is too expensive. Those are not the right reasons. But I think Kerryve had the best interests of her pet at heart, seeing as this disease seemed quick moving and almost always lethal if I understand correctly.
As far as it being a betrayal to be there with them when they are dying, I completely disagree with that. If anything I think it is a comfort to them if you there during their last moments. Imagine how the animal must feel when the person they know, love, and TRUST for their entire life abandons them to the hands of the vet they hate and fear (although not all animals hate vets). I think it takes strength, and true respect for the animal for a person to be strong enough to stay with them. To not be with them would be a selfish act simply because we dont want to deal with the emotions involved. If a pet must be "put down" I think it is only fair to the animal that we stay with them and see them through it, and provide what comfort we can before they are gone.

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
I agree with you Isabella, I couldnt handle putting him to sleep my friend Dorian took him in. the thing is parva is a parasite that eats the stomach lining so he was pooping blood, and it was just water (I didnt really want to go into this) along with the vomiting, not eating anything at all this is fatal full stop. Thats why we have a huge campagne to vaccinate our animals. The little animals bodies literally dry up, fat cat went cold, he was severely de-hydraded, hed been on a glucose drip for four days and he had given up. I could see it when i looked into his cloudy eyes, he really had given up on life. that was the most heart wrenching moment of my life. I couldnt let him die on his own, he had gone cold, when you lifted his skin it stayed there, it didnt pop back, it was really terrible. I miss him so much and the thing is that dogs get it too, its really horrible, two of our puppies in the litter died, two survived after being on a drip, it all depends on whether the mother has been vaccinated cos while shes nursing the puppies are protected, as soon as she starts to ween them they are subseptable to getting this sickness. its absolutely devastating. Sometimes when you vaccinate the animals they become carriers and are immune themselves but their offspring get sick.

Im sorry but I cant talk about this anymore

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
Manicivy, i just want to clear the air, I fully agree with you too but at that time i was just sooo upset. I couldnt bare to say goodbye. Ive said good bye too many a creature in my life and its never easy but sometimes it is neccesary.

Thank you

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Please don't get me wrong. I was NOT criticizing Kerryve. I said that if an animal is in such a terrible pain that life itself is even worse than being dead (i.e. suffering is so great that life is a torture), then I suppose this is when one could - and should - put it to sleep. What I had in mind was rather an animal diagnosed as very sick but not visibly suffering. Such an animal should not be put to sleep in my opinion. My kitty was diagnosed as "very sick" and yet she's still with us, happy and healthy as ever. I believe the vet was trying to make lots of money off me. I am taking her medical records this week from this vet, and I am taking her to my other cat's vet, who is very good and doesn't try to make money off people. He actually cares about animals and is a very good vet. So ... anyway, I was rather referring to that. I hope I have not offended you in my previous post Kerryve It's just that I am extremely emotional when it comes to animals - I love them all so much!

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
No, not at all Isabella, Dont worry, Its just so upsetting as you know to lose your best little friend, I agree one shouldnt be reckless when it comes to euthenasia.

Love,
Kerry

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom