In-line heaters?

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by Big Country, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Big CountryNew MemberMember

Inline Heaters

I have a 120 gallon tank and I just switched the filter from a fluval G6 to a fluval fx5 (600 gallons an hour my fish are loving it =D) and I'm thinking of getting an in-line heater so I can do away with my ugly submersible! I have been looking at a Hydor ETH 300 In-Line Heater UL 300W f/16mm & 5/8" Hose but I have read reviews that the thermostat is bad in them and will spike and cook your fish. what would would y'all recommend and do you think an in-line heater is the right choice?

Thanks for your time

2. James95Well Known MemberMember

I recommend using 2 300 watt heaters. Many members hear like Aqueon pro heaters and Fluval M series heaters.

Big Country, Welcome to Fishlore :;hi1

This thread is dedicated to arowanaman's questions so I suggest deleting your post and making your own thread to ask your question. This way you'll get more responses.

3. Big CountryNew MemberMember

Thanks glad to be here! I'll be posting some pictures of my tanks when I get a chance!

so you wouldn't recommend an in-line heater? My submersible does a great job as it is I was just looking at the idea of not having it in my tank

4. James95Well Known MemberMember

Please make your own thread so we can have a separate discussion. Go to the heaters forum and click the blue box that says "new thread" in the top left hand corner of the forum.

I'll answer your questions in your own dedicated thread ;)

5. Big CountryNew MemberMember

I have a 120 gallon tank that I just put a fluval FX5 on and I was thinking about doing away with the submersible heaters and going to an inline heater...Thoughts???

6. James95Well Known MemberMember

Inline heaters work well, sometimes they're actually better than the submersibles. You may have issues attached the ribbed FX5 tubing to the inline heater, especially an ETH heater. They are designed to be used with standard vinyl tubing.

Somebody else might be able to chime in and help :)

7. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to Fishlore.

Your question has been moved to a thread of its own to increase exposure and get more responses.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your tank.

8. pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

I agree on a tank this size I would go with a pair of in tank heaters, I would go with a pair of 200 or even 250s.

As for recomendations, store wise I really like the aqueon pro heaters. I have also recently purchased a Titanium heater from Kens Fish and so far I really like it, no controls under water at all so makes it really easy to adjust and really dial in those temps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice