In Iowa? Some Facts about Tap Water

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tatty_kassy, Apr 1, 2010.

1. tatty_kassy

tatty_kassyValued MemberMember

2. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

I'm sure that some of that info is legit, and I agree that water quality is likely a problem in a lot of areas, but IMO we should be wary of getting this type of info from a company's website that want to sell us RO filters. ;)

3. OP
    OP
    tatty_kassy

I picked this one because it was more short and to the point, but I have other sites I can post that are a bit more comprehensive if you'd like. :)

Granted the last two studies were back in 2003, but there has not been an increase in funding to the program, nor has their been changes made to change this problem significantly enough to consider it a null issue.

I am just saying, the water is not as clean as you would like to believe.
    I know where I live, they openly reported on the news that they are going to stop monitoring smaller communities water supplies to help pay off the debt. I know I live in Canada, but I also know that this is not an uncommon thing to occur in any Country in this day and age. If this is what the quality is like with monitoring, just imagine what it is going to be like in a year or two for people not in major cities around here. Its nuts!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  4. mosin360Well Known MemberMember

Parents live in Cedar Rapids and the water there is fine.

5. OP
    OP
    tatty_kassy

Its not necessarily in ALL places that the water is tainted, but it is quite a few.
    I would say the best thing to do if you are concerned is look into what is actually in the water in your area.
    I have checked out the water in our area, and it is far from what I would consider to be "clean". So I personally choose to not drink it. The only point I am making, is that I was not given information about the water around here via normal informational sources. Tv, Radio, Newspapers, they have never mentioned the sub-par drinking water in this area, so many continue to drink it like its going out of style and then wonder why they are depressed and have thyroid issues in 2-3 years.
    All I am for, is the freedom of information so that people can make their own choices on what they choose to do for themselves.
    :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  6. sirdarksol

sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

My thoughts exactly. My city has a website that has a running tally of water quality info on it. The information I get from there is specific to the aquifer that feeds my city. It's not the greatest water in the world, but most of the toxin levels are quite a bit lower than the maximum "acceptable" levels, and none are over.
    However, a local company that sells water filtration equipment sent out a pamphlet of "toxins found in the water supply," and it made it sound like our water was absolutely horrible, and that's what they want you to think, because it allows them to sell more filters. What they don't tell you is that, as long as a particular toxin/mineral level can be found somewhere in the area they are talking about, they get to lump it all together and they're technically not lying. What you're seeing on that list is the worst levels out of the entire area they're talking about, mixed and matched to make the water supply appear to be as bad as possible.

The best place to get this information from is your water company. Since water supplies change drastically from town to town (and even from aquifer to aquifer), it's best to know what your water is like.

7. OP
    OP
    tatty_kassy

That is all I am saying! I know that our water is tainted, and I know that this ridiculous idea that Fluoride is a good thing for our water is something to be considered. Most people are under the impression that Fluoride is a good thing to have in their water, and yet studies have shown that it is quite opposite. People are under the impression also that the type of Fluoride that they use is the type that, in small doses, can aid in the health of teeth and bones. However, the Fluoride that they use is actually Sodium Fluoride. Sodium Fluoride has been shown to be quite dangerous and is actually labelled as a type of rat poison in alot of instances.

To me, that is like they are trying to tell me, hey, arsenic is bad for you, however, we will reduce it so its okay again.
    ...........So, its proven to be bad, so, why is it still there at ALL? I am to assume that a company that is telling me this is safe to consume is also going to be unbiased about potentially other hazardous items??
    That is my opinion. I think consuming something that is dangerous should be avoided. And I know there is the argument that alot of poisons are actually quite beneficial in proper doses. I agree with that, however, this stuff has NO beneficial effects. It is not to be considered in the same catagory.

I've noticed that the fact the first site I posted was selling RO filters on it has urked people and they seem to have ignored the other sites I have posted, most of which do NOT sell any products at all. I am not encouraging anybody to go out and buy anything, My only statement in the beginning was to look into what is in your water in your area!
    I am only trying to get people to think about the concept that just maybe, MAYBE, there could possibly be something in your water, in your area, that you may not want to ingest.
    When people find out what is in a hotdog, some decide to never eat it again. Most have a moment of clarity for about 10 minutes and then go back to eating the hotdog, because in the end they simply do not care.
    That is fair! They have every right to do that, however, those people who chose not to eat the hotdog based on the information provided, thats fair too. All I am for, is the ability to have all the information so that you can decide for yourself what you want to do with it.
    Is that not a good thing??:confused:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  8. sirdarksol

sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

There's absolutely nothing wrong with spreading information. The important thing is that the information be spread in a manner that encourages logical decision making. Those links present the absolute worst of what might be. That's why I say that the best place to get information is from your local water company. That way, you've got information on what's actually in your water, and you can research that, rather than worry about what might be in your water.
    I also tend to play devil's advocate, and look at all of the information, and present the opposing viewpoint. It's a good way to figure out what's going on.
    On top of all that, aquarists tend to be more aware of the quality of their tap water than others, because it's a significant part of their hobby. The topic of toxins in the water has come up numerous times on the forum.

I try to avoid the backlash overreaction to issues of health, safety, and politics, because often the reaction is just as extreme and just as harmful as the original issue.
    For example, the backlash against fluoride in drinking water. I agree that fluoride should not be in drinking water, but your statement that it has "NO beneficial effects" shows the harm this type of backlash can have. There are studies that are showing that people who drink solely bottled water are more likely to have tooth decay. It does have a beneficial effect. That's never been in question in the scientific community. The question they didn't ask that they should have, and that is being asked now is "are the benefits greater than the drawbacks?" The answer is "probably not." Of course, most people are all about the easiest way out (it's genetic hard-wiring. We're born with it), and the options for dental health are; fluoride in the water or better education about dental health, to encourage proper care.

The answers to the questions of why there's arsenic and lead in the water are both extremely complicated and extremely simple. The simple answer is "Money." Whether the contaminants are natural or man-made, removing them from the water costs money, and in a capitalist country where water is a commodity, how much the people are willing to pay for filtration is going to impact what's in the water supply.
    The more complicated answer is that there are so many factors. They need to determine what's a contaminant and what's a danger. They need to determine whether something only becomes a contaminant at a certain concentration (even toxic materials that have no benefit may only be harmful at a certain ppm... like CO2 in our air). They need to find ways of removing the contaminants without removing the rest of the minerals (most of the minerals in tap water are good for you). They need to make these processes cost-effective. They need to convince the customers that it's a worthwhile purchase. They've got to find out if the source is natural or industrial, and if it's industrial, is it more cost effective to filter it out of the water or to change the industrial processes that produce the toxin? The list goes on.

9. OP
    OP
    tatty_kassy

You are right, those places are a worst case scenario. Those places are real, common, and most people who live in those places do not know what is in their water.
    Being the Devil's Advocate is a great thing, being unbiased in a great thing, and knowing where your values lie is a great thing.
    However, when you shrug things off with a grain of salt simply because it doesn't seem like an immediate threat to you, you are not really making an informed decision, your dismissing information simply because you do not agree with it. You can choose to like or dislike any information you like, however you cannot discredit it simply because it does not portray your rosey ideal of what our standards should be.
    It is a terrible thought, to think that water isn't as clean as we'd like it to be. I can understand why alot of people would be upset over reading something like this, it is not an easy road to understanding.
    You present a plethora of reasons why it is okay for their to be certain things in our water. Saying that drinking bottled water is worse for you then drinking water is a valid point. It is misleading when you buy a bottle of water expecting for it to be clean because you paid more for it, when in actuality it IS tap water.
    There are alot of things that have been found to cause problems without a doubt, that are in many of our commonly ingested products. It is almost like it is so overwhelming to keep track that we apathy and give up. We just accept that it is there, say "Oh its just a little bit, they can't afford to remove it anyway, who says its bad for you???" and go about our merry way.
    And that is your choice, I most certainly do not deny that to you.

However, I think others are allowed to make their own choices to, but are not given info. All I attempted to do, was bring to light an issue that is happening in many towns (Notice I did not say ALL towns!) so that if they were actually concerned, they may be prompted to check out their sources and make a decision. Just imagine if a single person on this board found out that their water was far below standards, and decided to no longer drink it. I will feel as though I did them a great service in their lives, just like someone was to me when they enlightened me to the conditions of my own drinking water where I live.
    If they had never of prompted me to do some research, I would still be drinking my 8 glasses of tap water a day, every single day.

So I don't expect you to agree with me, perhaps where you live things are still okay. All I can say it, there are alot of places that aren't, and you are very fortunate my friend to not have to worry about that glass of water when you serve it to your loved ones.

10. wonton55912Valued MemberMember

my water has little to no chlorine, no nitrate, and we only drink the water from the high quaility filter we have in our refrigerator

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice