In Desperate Need Of Helping Find Out What’s Wrong With My Oranda

Reaganp1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My other oranda died not to long ago, and my new oranda is doing the same thing that my oranda nugget did before he died the next day. I’ve only had this new guy for about a month and he was doing fine yesterday and then I got up this morning and he was at the bottom of the tank not able to move properly. He’s still breathing, but it’s almost like he’s paralyzed... I need to check my water parameters but I did a water change on Friday and Saturday. On Saturday my parameters were perfect, no nitrite, no ammonia, and my nitrate was between 5-10ppm. My fantail isn’t affected by it, just like last time. Only the oranda. I tried feeding him peas and nothing. My fantail ate but I couldn’t get the oranda to eat. I really don’t want to lose this fish... does anybody have any clue on what’s happening???? Is it swim bladder? When he does swim he can’t swim right and is tilted to the side. My tank is 40 gallons and I have two aquaclear/ fluval 70filters and two sponge filters. Could he have hurt himself on something?

IMG_5524.JPG
IMG_5531.JPG
IMG_5517.JPG
IMG_5543.JPG

The first few photos are from a few days ago/ yesterday. And he last one is just a few minutes ago.

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
**** Rea...

Is your tank cycled? Is the new water treated with the proper product for removing chlorine and chloramine? Tank problems are most times water problems. You really have too much filtration in the tank, the fish may not like all the current in the water. One filter is plenty to aerate the water. A 40 G tank needs one large water change done weekly. I keep Goldfish and Comets and use a couple of dual sponge filters to aerate the water and do 75 percent water changes weekly. Goldfish are the hardiest of any aquarium fish, there's no reason for a healthy fish in good water conditions to be sick.

One more thing, are you adding aquarium salt to the tank water? A healthy teaspoon in every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water will do wonders for the health of your fish. Salt fights disease, retards the growth of parasites, reduces nitrogen toxins, eases stress, heals injuries and aids in the breathing process. I use a little in all my tanks.

Old

Reaganp1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rea...

Is your tank cycled? Is the new water treated with the proper product for removing chlorine and chloramine? Tank problems are most times water problems. You really have too much filtration in the tank, the fish may not like all the current in the water. One filter is plenty to aerate the water. A 40 G tank needs one large water change done weekly. I keep Goldfish and Comets and use a couple of dual sponge filters to aerate the water and do 75 percent water changes weekly. Goldfish are the hardiest of any aquarium fish, there's no reason for a healthy fish in good water conditions to be sick.

One more thing, are you adding aquarium salt to the tank water? A healthy teaspoon in every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water will do wonders for the health of your fish. Salt fights disease, retards the growth of parasites, reduces nitrogen toxins, eases stress, heals injuries and aids in the breathing process. I use a little in all my tanks.

Old
My tank should definitely be cycled. Yes I use water conditioners, I use prime and stability. I’ve had this tank up for almost a year now. Our power went out again due to weather so maybe a parasite attacked him while the power was out? I wasn’t home when it went out so I couldn’t act to save my filter media. Like I said everything else is fine and my other fish acts fine. He was literally fine when I went to bed and then boom! I wake up to him unable to swim. He’s doing the exact same thing my other fish did before he died. Our power went out a few days before my other fish had died as well. I don’t know what to do, he is now unable to move. I’ve tried moving him around but I get nothing. He’s still trying to swim but he can’t move. I feel horrible and helpless. I don’t want to lose this fish.

Reaganp1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Where are you buying these fish from?
First one was from petsmart, and this new guy was from blue fish aquarium. He was quite healthy when I got him, and was doing good yesterday. And then today he looks like he’s dying. He’s barely moving, his gills and mouth are still moving as well... I don’t know how much longer he’s going to live. If he got the same thing my fish had before him then he’s definitely going to die. I can’t handle losing him, my other fish can’t handle being alone either.

IMG_5547.JPG
IMG_5548.JPG

I’m crying guys, I don’t want him to die. I’m not finding anything on the internet that gives me a clear answer on what’s happening to him. My water parameters so far are showing up normal, no ammonia, no nitrite, I still have yet to test my nitrates. But my other fish is completely fine, not affected at all. Could it be swim bladder? Internal parasites? I don’t know

lonehunter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hmm honestly I think it’s a swim ladder issue

Man what a beautiful fish I feel for you man

This is why I dont keep fancy goldfish they get problems to easily

Do you soak your fish food until it’s soft before giving it to him

Reaganp1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hmm honestly I think it’s a swim ladder issue
I tried giving him a pea and he didn’t want to eat it, last time this happened I tried to wait it out for the other guy and then the next day I woke up to him dead on his side. It’s so weird because he was acting normal and happy until I got up this morning, last night before I went to bed everything was fine, I didn’t even feed them last night. He’s such a beautiful and sweet fish, it’s gonna hurt even worse if I lose this guy. I try my hardest to keep my fish happy and healthy and then our power goes out and ruins everything.

IMG_5550.JPG

This is what’s he’s like right now, I keep trying to gently move him and nothings working. The only thing that I did put into my water was some fertilizer for the new plants.

Do you soak your fish food until it’s soft before giving it to him
I soak it in garlic guard before I feed them. And they’ve definitely been pooping since I saw my fantail take a huge **** yesterday. I don’t know if the oranda has been but there’s definitely poop all over the tank, I last cleaned it on Saturday.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He is a beautiful fish and you seem to be doing everything right. It does appear to be swim bladder issues. Why 2 would get it from different stores is beyond me. IMO, fancies are very easy fish to keep with few health issues. How much do you feed? What brand? What is your water temp? I'm so sorry you are going through this. Let's call on @Gypsy13 and see what she says.

Do you have an air stone you can put in for now?

Reaganp1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rea...

Old
Also I used salt before, but people told me that it wasn’t necessary for my fish. Salt is bad for plants as well isn’t it? I just got them some new plants since they were both doing so well. And now I’m afraid to use salt because I don’t want it to kill my plants.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am not big on using salt with goldies. I do on my tropicals but I did just kill several plants when I put salt in the tropical tank. I learned...salt + plants = death.

Gypsy13 will be on later but I am worried about your little guy. I know this sounds crazy and you have tried, but perhaps he really needs to move around. In humans and in horses we have to move around to get the bowels moving. I know it's not a horse but just trying to come up with things until we hear from Gypsy.

Reaganp1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He is a beautiful fish and you seem to be doing everything right. It does appear to be swim bladder issues. Why 2 would get it from different stores is beyond me. IMO, fancies are very easy fish to keep with few health issues. How much do you feed? What brand? What is your water temp? I'm so sorry you are going through this. Let's call on @Gypsy13 and see what she says.
I wish my phone had notified me early because I just saw this now. I usually feed them twice a day 12 hours apart. As much as they can eat within a minute. I am using new life spectrum goldfish sinking pellets. My water temp is 70 degrees Fahrenheit. That’s why I have a heater to keep the temp stable. Because without it the temp would be around 62 degrees. I accidentally found that out because I forgot to plug my heater back in after I did my water change. It’s too late now to do anything. He died while I was doing a water change my poor fantail has now lost two friends... both were orandas and the same exact thing happened to both of them... my power had gone out a few days ago, literally the same exact thing killed my last fish. Now poor griffin is laying with his dead friend... I’m seriously going to miss this beautiful fish. He was such a sweet fish.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm so sorry. I wonder if the temp drop could have put him in shock. It shouldn't have dropped that quickly though. Did you match your water temp to be sure it was 70F also? I don't use heaters with my goldies but their tank stays at about 72F. They seem to be happier when it is about 65F though. Just can't get it to stay there. Again, I am so sorry because he was a beautiful fish.

Oh, by the way, I use New Life Spectrum too. Great food for goldies.

One more thing...still check your water parameters because the power going out could have affected your cycle.

Reaganp1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gypsy13 will be on later but I am worried about your little guy. I know this sounds crazy and you have tried, but perhaps he really needs to move around. In humans and in horses we have to move around to get the bowels moving. I know it's not a horse but just trying to come up with things until we hear from Gypsy.
I tried moving him around with my hand, I tried looking up internal parasites to see if that may have been the cause, it had to be a mix of swim bladder issues plus a parasite. I mean how else could a fish go from perfectly healthy to unable to properly move in just a couple hours? Griffin wouldn’t attack him, he’s too much of a scardy cat to ever harm another fish. In fact I tried having him alone for a small amount of time after nugget passed away. It’s sad how much he changes when another fish isn’t around. He hides in his cave and won’t come out unless he wants to be fed and then he goes right back into the cave. He’s just sitting by nebula right now... he’s probably so confused on why his friend isn’t moving at all... I desperately wanted to save him but how can you save something when you have no idea what’s truly wrong? I tried feeding him a pea and he wouldn’t eat them so I just gave them to griffin instead.
I’m gonna miss him big time... I really loved how unique this guy was.
IMG_5552.JPG
IMG_5554.JPG
IMG_5555.JPG

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Awww...that is so heartbreaking! You don't happen to live in the Houston, TX area do you? I have a tank full of baby fancy goldfish and wish I could give you one.

Reaganp1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
One more thing...still check your water parameters because the power going out could have affected your cycle.
I checked them today, so far I got no ammonia, no nitrite, and I still need to check my nitrates. I’m going to do that after I finish the water change. I have old tank water in the glass tube, so I just need to put the solution in it.

Reaganp1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Awww...that is so heartbreaking! You don't happen to live in the Houston, TX area do you? I have a tank full of baby fancy goldfish and wish I could give you one.
I wish!, I live in Michigan. So you’re pretty far away. I would love a fancy Goldie from you but I bet they’re tiny right?! well at least now I know that I can bring him back to the pet store and hopefully get a new fish... griffin doesn’t tolerate being alone very well. I feel so bad for him. He gets so confused and scared when he doesn’t have a friend.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Perhaps get a black moor. Maybe a different breed will be luckier and the still look alot like what you already have.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m late to this. So sorry.
One, using salt is a good thing. If you have plants you can give salt baths. He should be in qt then you could add salt with his water. Not overdoing the salt is key. But as Oldsalt777 said, it helps with gill function. Helps in healing etc.
But. My biggest question is how did the power going out ruin your media? As long as you don’t let it dry out, it’s fine. Something is happening between the power going out and the Oranda being affected. Since he’s been sick, have you been doing more frequent water changes?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom