this tank has Silca substrate, also pea gravel
a 9 inch pleco
25 lb hard dark driftwood

5 filters stop working
2 Cascade canisters "500"s
3 fluvals a U1, U2 and U3

I can get the Fluvals to restart
but canister give up 30 minutes after cleaning

Also the canister's and water lines fill up with black stuff and 1 to 1.5 inch long fibers or hairs

the tank's water has tannins from wood,

is it possible the silca is being kicked up by pleco, or that the pleco is chewing the wood and clogging up the filters

Also the magetic moters are scumming with grit?

Should I remove the substrate?

I will call Cascade for instructions to clean out the hidden pump areas

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Are they making any noise?

What kind of substrate is it? Silica is what sand is made of. Is it fine and get kicked up in the water a lot, or is it a larger diameter that quickly falls to the bottom?

OP
J

justatank

Jaysee said:
Are they making any noise?
No noise, at all

Jaysee said:
What kind of substrate is it? Silica is what sand is made of. Is it fine and get kicked up in the water a lot, or is it a larger diameter that quickly falls to the bottom?
It is white, and consider relatively "pure" as sand has small flecks of dry dirt, and turns water muddy brown. if I stir it with a stick, it falls down very fast, and no increase in opacity.

It seems to be of uniform size, and is used on streetcar tracks to increase friction, to stop or go uphill

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
no noise....as in might as well be unplugged? Can you feel a vibration at all? does it get hot when plugged in?

No noise, no vibration, no heat would mean that it is not receiving power. Are all the filters plugged into the same outlet? are they on a surge protector? are they on the same surge protector?

My fluval 405 has problems restarting - I have to wiggle and tug on the power cord to get it to start. I've also had the same issue with a couple of aquaclears. However, since multiple filters went out at the same time I doubt that's an issue.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom