Impulse purchase.....you have to do one every once and a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blk69

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Stopped by a new LSF this afternoon. They had Cherry Shrimp, 3/$10. This is significantly cheaper than other local supply. Got three (they gave me a 4th for free). Got a huge (almost 3', bushy, lot of start plants) Wisteria plant for $5.

This is my first attempt with Shrimp or plants (for a while). Currently doing a drip into the shrimp bag to adjust PH slowly (I'm running 8.2, assume LFS closer to 6/7. Broke a few of the starter off the plant, put two in my outdoor pond and the rest in my tank. Hopefully will have good results.

Just found out my water softened water was not good for my guppies (guppy and Kuilie Loach tank only, 75 gallon). Doing a daily 7% water change with well water (currently have around 20% well water ratio now). Should be close to 50% in a week or two.

Will try to post a picture this evening.

Matt68046

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I spent like 100 bucks one time on a "planted" ten gallon tank, just because it was frameless (it was old, the plastic frame fell off) and i thought it looked really cool. Petsmart is an expensive place. I didnt even buy the tank, just the stuff to go in it and a few other things for my other tanks. i was shocked when i went to the register and it came to so much. My wife was mad ofc.

OP
B

Blk69

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Check out how big this plant is. I put about 1/4 of it in my pond.

Last edited by a moderator:

Et tu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
But it was such a good buy! I once bought a brand new 4x4 truck, had no intentions of buying a car or truck till I spotted it in a dealership while I was driving by... I wear blinders now.

OP
B

Blk69

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BLK, 30 gallon? You should use a undergravel filter in that thing in the future. I like to use UG filters in big taks with plants. Any small tank is bare bottom to be kept clean. The UG filter will keep that biological bed in the gravel much healthier.
75 gallon tank. I just removed my under gravel filer last month. Removed as couldn't keep my water levels in range. Also, wouldn't the plant roots get in their and make a huge mess?

Matt68046

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not really. I think the benifits out weigh the risks. WIth an UG filter, your keeping a healthy biological filter bed in the gravel. Without one, the gravel will turn into your enemy, like a toxic waste dump. Just my opinion. Thats a 75 gallon? Dosent look like it. I dont think your levels were being negatively impacted by the UG filter, likely something else, like overfeeding. I was just wondering. Just being nosy thats all.

OP
B

Blk69

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had a few problems with the tank. They were 99% my fault. I kept gold fish in it over the winter (outdoor pond for summer). Did this for about two years. Cleaned tank out maybe once a year. Water change only to top off what evaporated. Tank was empty April/May this spring. Kids wanted to get into the hobby so set up my 55 gal tank for them. I caught the bug, got some guppies. Cleaned tank but had water problems. Broke down tank, really nasty stuff in my under gravel filter. Removed it and seeing how things will shake out. Hoping using well water (not softened) and adding a few plants will help with water conditions too...

Something is making my PH jump in my tank (well 7.8 tank 8.3). Thinking about black sand substrate.

OP
B

Blk69

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Update. Thought my cherry shrimp we long gone. Had not seen them for a while. This morning I saw two black shrimp. Never seen my red ones since the day I put them in the tank.

Not sure how many are alive, but IMO cherry shrimp are not a good addition to a community tank. My Corys (for the same price) were a much better by.

hampalong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Biggest and most vigorous plants I ever saw were on a UG filter. Mind you, there was 6" of gravel on top of it. Within reason the water movement around the roots provides food and waste removal for the plants. Just think of hydroponic systems (which some members here will be quite familiar with, no doubt )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 88 66.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 24 18.0%

Top Bottom