Impulse buy...

TClare

I always research fish before I decide what to buy. This time I didn't. I called in the fish shop a couple of days ago to see what they had in, as I have a new tank ready stock. And they had this lovely little pleco. They told me it was a zebra pleco. Now, I do not know a lot about plecos and have never kept them before, so I quickly googled zebra pleco on my phone. Size 3-4" - Ok thats good, doesn't get too big. More carnivorous than most plecos. OK, it won't eat algae but probably won't damage my plants. I bought it. When I got home I looked into it some more and soon realized the it is not the extremely rare Brazilian zebra pleco, I think it is the Orinoco or Colombian Zebra pleco L129 (but there is another L340 that looks the same). Perhaps a pleco expert here can confirm? My husband was not too impressed - why are you buying a fish we will probably never see and it won't even eat the algae? Anyway we did see it the last two evenings and I managed to get a couple of shots with my phone - it was at the back so I have zoomed in a lot so excuse the bad quality of the photos. I have not seen it today, but I did put more plants in the tank yesterday so it has more hiding places now. Any advice on how best to feed it? Last night I put a pleco wafer in the tank and it has gone, but there are also snails in the tank. Also I think the wafer might be meant for more herbivorous plecos. I have some sinking cichlid pellets, they are like round balls and sink quickly, if I try these should I put it in whole or broken up, and how many? I will feed it at night. The only other fish I have at the moment are 6 emperor tetras, but I hope to get more fairly soon. The tank is large, 160cm x 60 x 60) but it has quite a lot of substrate rock and wood. Any advice about this little pleco would be welcome.

IMG_5691.jpg

IMG_5687.jpg

IMG_5690.jpg

IMG_5688.jpg

Fishfriendof315

TClare

Fishfriendof315 said:
It's a tiger pleco
Really? Are you sure? A wrong identification would not surprise me in the least here, but doesn't it look like this one? (photo from Internet Orinoco zebra pleco Hypancistrus debilittera). In any case I think the care would be similar to the tiger pleco?

1.jpg

TClare

Can anyone confirm the ID please?

MacZ

TClare said:
Can anyone confirm the ID please?
Comparing with footage from Aquarium Glaser who are usually correct in IDs, your's seems indeed to be an L129 Hypancistrus debilittera.

Betta'sAnonymous

I am horrid on IDing plecos. It is a pretty one though!! Almost did an impulse buy the other day of a vampire pleco, myself.

Don't know if this is one of them, but i do know some of these fancier looking plecos often prefer a stronger water flow.

TClare

Thanks, I really think it is probably L129, I do have a fair amount of flow in the tank I think. A canister filter rated at 1,100 litres per hour, the outlet flows into a top filter and back to the aquarium in two places. And a submersible pump rated 700 litres per hour which also goes inrto an additional top filter on the other side then out to the tank through one hole. There is a fair amount of water movement. I did not see him all day yesterday but today he has been out and about in the light and has eaten some pleco wafer, I think I need to get him some more protein rich sinking food though.
Betta'sAnonymous said:
I am horrid on IDing plecos. It is a pretty one though!! Almost did an impulse buy the other day of a vampire pleco, myself.

Don't know if this is one of them, but i do know some of these fancier looking plecos often prefer a stronger water flow.
I’ll have to look up vampire pleco now!

Betta'sAnonymous

TClare said:
Thanks, I really think it is probably L129, I do have a fair amount of flow in the tank I think. A canister filter rated at 1,100 litres per hour, the outlet flows into a top filter and back to the aquarium in two places. And a submersible pump rated 700 litres per hour which also goes inrto an additional top filter on the other side then out to the tank through one hole. There is a fair amount of water movement. I did not see him all day yesterday but today he has been out and about in the light and has eaten some pleco wafer, I think I need to get him some more protein rich sinking food though.

I’ll have to look up vampire pleco now!
Honestly, i think the price is what kept it in the stores tank and not mine lol

taj13

It's a beautiful pleco! Hopefully he'll come out enough for you to enjoy him! My albino bristlenose plecos love their hiding places, but thankfully they still come out a lot.

TClare

taj13 said:
It's a beautiful pleco! Hopefully he'll come out enough for you to enjoy him! My albino bristlenose plecos love their hiding places, but thankfully they still come out a lot.
Thanks, yes he does come out, we see him at least once each day.

StarGirl

That is a really pretty pleco! Nice impulse buy!

mrsP

Wow, what a beauty!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom