Impulse buy- Advice needed!

FishGirl115

Hey guys! So I saw some ghost shrimp at pet smart... They were only 39 cents. Come on. I bought 4.
My tank currently has aquarium salt in it (treatment). Will the shrimp be fine?

redmare

I'm like 97% sure that will not be fine, and will kill the shrimp! Get the salt water changed out before adding them.

FishGirl115

redmare said:
I'm like 97% sure that will not be fine, and will kill the shrimp! Get the salt water changed out before adding them.
Okay. This is why I ask you guys

Betta'sAnonymous

I would say impulse buys can be bad...but then again, my snails were an impulse buy...

FishGirl115

They were kinda an impulse buy. I've been wanting shrimp, but I didn't go to the store planning to buy... Although I should know by now that I never leave a pet/fish store without something...

86 ssinit

Ok I think you may want to google that. Not sure but ghost shrimp are feeder shrimp and may actually start in brackish water. So the salt may not bother them.

Vegetarianpanda

As long as its aquarium salt and not marine salt it should be fine in my opinion. As some species actually live in brackish water. Nerites also do fine in tanks with aquarium salt.

Other crustacean (shrimp and snails) will die and not do well in aquarium salt though. Ghost shrimp only live a year so if you get them it might be a good idea to get 10 so they breed.

FishGirl115

86 ssinit said:
Ok I think you may want to google that. Not sure but ghost shrimp are feeder shrimp and may actually start in brackish water. So the salt may not bother them.
Okay. I just did a 100% water change (but saved sponge filter) to get rid of it, but I'm sure there's a little left.

Vegetarianpanda said:
As long as its aquarium salt and not marine salt it should be fine in my opinion. As some species actually live in brackish water. Nerites also do fine in tanks with aquarium salt.

Other crustacean (shrimp and snails) will die and not do well in aquarium salt though. Ghost shrimp only live a year so if you get them it might be a good idea to get 10 so they breed.
Okay thanks. I got 4. I would rather get some colorful shrimp to build a colony. I just got these cause they were cheap and kinda as a tester to see if my betta will eat them... I have them in a 3 gallon right now as a quarantine, but I might just keep them there.

86 ssinit

Ok looked it up and it seems salts fine .

Vegetarianpanda

FishGirl115 said:
Okay thanks. I got 4. I would rather get some colorful shrimp to build a colony. I just got these cause they were cheap and kinda as a tester to see if my betta will eat them... I have them in a 3 gallon right now as a quarantine, but I might just keep them there.
I say make sure if you get cherry shrimp in the future, get some bigger and some smaller. So your more likely to get a male and female. Boys are less colorful so don't get just the brightly colored ones.

Have fun ghost shrimp are fun to watch

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom