Impulse buy- Advice needed!

FishGirl115

Member
Hey guys! So I saw some ghost shrimp at pet smart... They were only 39 cents. Come on. I bought 4.
My tank currently has aquarium salt in it (treatment). Will the shrimp be fine?
 

redmare

Member
I'm like 97% sure that will not be fine, and will kill the shrimp! Get the salt water changed out before adding them.
 
  • Thread Starter

FishGirl115

Member
redmare said:
I'm like 97% sure that will not be fine, and will kill the shrimp! Get the salt water changed out before adding them.
Okay. This is why I ask you guys
 

Betta'sAnonymous

Member
I would say impulse buys can be bad...but then again, my snails were an impulse buy...
 
  • Thread Starter

FishGirl115

Member
They were kinda an impulse buy. I've been wanting shrimp, but I didn't go to the store planning to buy... Although I should know by now that I never leave a pet/fish store without something...
 

86 ssinit

Member
Ok I think you may want to google that. Not sure but ghost shrimp are feeder shrimp and may actually start in brackish water. So the salt may not bother them.
 

Vegetarianpanda

Member
As long as its aquarium salt and not marine salt it should be fine in my opinion. As some species actually live in brackish water. Nerites also do fine in tanks with aquarium salt.

Other crustacean (shrimp and snails) will die and not do well in aquarium salt though. Ghost shrimp only live a year so if you get them it might be a good idea to get 10 so they breed.
 
  • Thread Starter

FishGirl115

Member
86 ssinit said:
Ok I think you may want to google that. Not sure but ghost shrimp are feeder shrimp and may actually start in brackish water. So the salt may not bother them.
Okay. I just did a 100% water change (but saved sponge filter) to get rid of it, but I'm sure there's a little left.

Vegetarianpanda said:
As long as its aquarium salt and not marine salt it should be fine in my opinion. As some species actually live in brackish water. Nerites also do fine in tanks with aquarium salt.

Other crustacean (shrimp and snails) will die and not do well in aquarium salt though. Ghost shrimp only live a year so if you get them it might be a good idea to get 10 so they breed.
Okay thanks. I got 4. I would rather get some colorful shrimp to build a colony. I just got these cause they were cheap and kinda as a tester to see if my betta will eat them... I have them in a 3 gallon right now as a quarantine, but I might just keep them there.
 

86 ssinit

Member
Ok looked it up and it seems salts fine .
 

Vegetarianpanda

Member
FishGirl115 said:
Okay thanks. I got 4. I would rather get some colorful shrimp to build a colony. I just got these cause they were cheap and kinda as a tester to see if my betta will eat them... I have them in a 3 gallon right now as a quarantine, but I might just keep them there.
I say make sure if you get cherry shrimp in the future, get some bigger and some smaller. So your more likely to get a male and female. Boys are less colorful so don't get just the brightly colored ones.

Have fun ghost shrimp are fun to watch
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom