Improving Marineland Hob Filters

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by C_mats54, Jul 12, 2017.

1. C_mats54

C_mats54Valued MemberMember

I've heard homemade "cartridges" save a lot of money and are more effective in the long run. I already have a length of biochemical absorbent sponge, what else do I need?

On the other hand, does anyone think I should just stick with buying the refill cartridges?

Thank you!

2. BHK3

BHK3Well Known MemberMember

I ended up getting two of the refillable cartridges for my Marineland Penguin 350 (Amazon.com : Marineland Cartridge Media Refill for Penguin 200/350 Filter : Aquarium Filter Accessories : Pet Supplies) and filled them with Seachem Matrix (Amazon.com : Seachem Matrix Carbon 100ml : Aquarium Filter Accessories : Pet Supplies). I also have a cut-to-size sponge (Amazon.com : Eshopps AEO19065 Square Foam Aquarium Filter, Small : Eshopps Sponge : Pet Supplies) in each side, along with a polishing pad (Amazon.com : Polishing Filter Pad 100 Micron - Aquarium Prefilter Media - 24" by 36" Made In USA (1 pack) : Pet Supplies). On the filter intake I also have a sponge. My filter is actually missing both bio-wheels and I haven's replaced them yet, but it seems to be doing a great job as is.

I don't like the replaceable cartridges because you're throwing out so much beneficial bacteria. I never understood the purpose of that when there are much more permanent options that don't need to be replaced (or at least not on a regular basis).

3. OP
    OP
    C_mats54

I think I'm going to try a mesh filter bag and a sponge cut to size rather than the refillable cartridge. I'm going to try that seachem carbon too. Thank you!

4. BHK3

BHK3Well Known MemberMember

5. OP
    OP
    C_mats54

I actually figured it out before I bought it and got the right one! And I gotcha, I'll try to rig something up

6. goplecos

goplecosWell Known MemberMember

I buy cheap, unassembled cartridges that I change every now and then. I also make sure that all of my filters have room for a sponge. I never replace the sponge.

7. SixThreeOh

SixThreeOhWell Known MemberMember

What's the best way to decrease the surface agitation? I'd like to divert the output down rather than out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice