Improving Marineland Hob Filters Question

1. C_mats54 Member Member

I've heard homemade "cartridges" save a lot of money and are more effective in the long run. I already have a length of biochemical absorbent sponge, what else do I need?

On the other hand, does anyone think I should just stick with buying the refill cartridges?

Thank you!

2. BHK3 Well Known Member Member

I ended up getting two of the refillable cartridges for my Marineland Penguin 350 (Amazon.com : Marineland Cartridge Media Refill for Penguin 200/350 Filter : Aquarium Filter Accessories : Pet Supplies) and filled them with Seachem Matrix (Amazon.com : Seachem Matrix Carbon 100ml : Aquarium Filter Accessories : Pet Supplies). I also have a cut-to-size sponge (Amazon.com : Eshopps AEO19065 Square Foam Aquarium Filter, Small : Eshopps Sponge : Pet Supplies) in each side, along with a polishing pad (Amazon.com : Polishing Filter Pad 100 Micron - Aquarium Prefilter Media - 24" by 36" Made In USA (1 pack) : Pet Supplies). On the filter intake I also have a sponge. My filter is actually missing both bio-wheels and I haven's replaced them yet, but it seems to be doing a great job as is.

I don't like the replaceable cartridges because you're throwing out so much beneficial bacteria. I never understood the purpose of that when there are much more permanent options that don't need to be replaced (or at least not on a regular basis).

3. C_mats54 Member Member

I think I'm going to try a mesh filter bag and a sponge cut to size rather than the refillable cartridge. I'm going to try that seachem carbon too. Thank you!

4. BHK3 Well Known Member Member

5. C_mats54 Member Member

I actually figured it out before I bought it and got the right one! And I gotcha, I'll try to rig something up

6. goplecos Well Known Member Member

I buy cheap, unassembled cartridges that I change every now and then. I also make sure that all of my filters have room for a sponge. I never replace the sponge.

7. SixThreeOh Member Member

What's the best way to decrease the surface agitation? I'd like to divert the output down rather than out.