Improving Aquarium Verticality

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by Danimal6, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Danimal6Valued MemberMember

I know that shrimp don't spend all of their time swimming around, they like to sit and chill, so how do I improve the use of my 10g tank space? I have some water sprite and a fairly large sponge filter in there now, but will that be enough? When I eventually get the tank cycled and add the shrimp, I don't want them to be crowded on the bottom. Any suggestions?

2. MD_PlantsWell Known MemberMember

Get some Java Moss and make a nice carpet with it. It looks really nice and the shrimps Love it!

3. BithimalaFishlore VIPMember

The more plants and things to climb, the better :)

4. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

5. itsEmmaValued MemberMember

Hi,
    I have little terracotta plant pots in mine (which contain the aquasoil rather than have it completely cover the bottom of the tank-too messy) This helps with filling the tank as well as being easy to move around when I want to clean or 'redecorate'! Moss balls and Indian Almond Leaves are always good. I also have a Tower ornament, the most natural looking one that I could find, where the shrimp seem to sleep/hide when molting.
    All this also has the added advantage of hiding the sponge filter and heater to some extent, which is a bonus.
    I've recently added some cholla wood, so that's not in the picture, but they certainly love to investigate it!

Attached Files:

6. Danimal6Valued MemberMember

7. Danimal6Valued MemberMember

Probably should've attached this from the get go, but this is what I'm working with so far. No judging please:)

8. Danimal6Valued MemberMember

Also, more plants sounds great, any good growers you all could suggest with my current setup?

9. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Its a little hard to tell, but do you have moss in there? My shrimp loved it when i had a moss wall in there, so i would suggest a moss wall - with xmas 9r weeping looks nice!

Another thing i would suggest is floating plants, the shrimp love hanging out on the roots.

10. Danimal6Valued MemberMember

Sorry about the poor quality! Moss and floating plants, gotcha. I'll try to figure out a good way to integrate them in. Any other suggestions? Thanks for all the responses so far!

11. BKabinaValued MemberMember

Nice setup. What you have should be fine. As suggested though, moss and something floating is a plus. My shrimp love to hide and crawl on the Malaysian driftwood in my tanks.
    I made a small arch with a bottom out of a piece of plastic craft mesh sort of like a tunnel, and covered it with moss and stuck it to the back wall of my tank with a suction cup. The shrimp seem to like it.

Attached Files:

12. LucifereneValued MemberMember

Driftwood or tall rocks tied with moss could help. Also you could make moss wall on one side of the tank.

There are a lot of plants that'll grow in low tech environment, it's more the question of accessibility. I would try looking at what your LFS has if they are reputable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice