Improve The Color Or Grade Of My Cherry Shrimp

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by tjander, Aug 24, 2019.

1. tjander

tjanderWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +322
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    So over the years I have not done the best job of culling out less colorful shrimp. My though was ok simple enough add some new shrimp and their off spring should be better quality.
    Of course the other benefit is introducing a new blood line to the tank.

This leads me to a couple questions...
    1. Will adding higher quality shrimp improve the quality of the colony over time?
    2. With 100 shrimp in my tank how many higher grade shrimp do I need to add? 10% 20%?

Thanks.

2. sfsamm

sfsammWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,152
    Adding quality shrimp will only degrade the quality of shrimp you add. Keeping a high grade tank requires culling.
    Although those graded shrimp will have more colorful offspring "over time" what you will notice is that you should have culled.
    I bred out in one tank (per grade) and used my fish tanks for culls, some are cull communities, some are cull hunting grounds. I've also given away hundreds for free or rock bottom prices to get others into the hobby.

3. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,480
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I take culls out regular but every year or so I'll have a good sortie then buy a dozen good quality and add them to what may be 1 to 2 hundred left in the tank just to refresh and put new blood in, my quality seem to stay fast but can still take 30% out of each hatch as culls but still good enough to pass on,
    If I had the tanks and space I'd look at taking 30 of my best and add a dozen to them in a tank I've cleaned out of a different species so that tank as a new species and if I missed any on the clean out theres no fear of them crossing just move them out later, I just keep finding I need more tanks but you cant do it all and find the way I do it suits me and my quality stays pretty firm.

4. richie.p

Ratings:
    +2,480
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I have had what @sfsamm is talking about with black bee loosing their white to a reddish pink after trying to cross them and making a mess of it and although I separated them the red was still coming through all year with the result i started over as I was getting to may culls, I did make a mess of two good quality shrimp batches

5. OP
    OP
    tjander

Ratings:
    +322
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Alright so I get it I should have culled better more often but that boat has sailed. So am I screwed and there is nothing I can do to bring back a more bright color? Other then scraping all and starting over? I understand that the new high grade shrimp will breed with lower grade and this will result in a less quality. But if I cull them out I should be able to stop or slow down the loss of color?

6. richie.p

Ratings:
    +2,480
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    You must still have some quality shrimp in there. thin the old right out and add shrimp of the same grade new blood and your strain will be stronger you've not lost everything it's good to add shrimp every 12 month or so to keep your quality With crystal red &black bee if you dont add new blood every so often you get what's called
    Traits Depression it's where you start to loose colour so besides culling I have to put fresh blood in and that's no different to cherries you have to refresh the genetic pool to get things back on track

7. sfsamm

sfsammWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,152
    You can with careful culling improve them, adding better quality will reduce the quality of the new shrimp but can help expedite improvements in your existing colony.

I took sakura grade neos and improved to painter fire reds without adding fire red or painted fires to the colony. I had the benefit though of these being culls from a fire red colony to start.

8. OP
    OP
    tjander

Ratings:
    +322
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Thanks

Become a Fishlore Member