Impromptu Fish Net

PAcanis

Well, I thought I wasn't going to do anything to my aquariums today...

The ambient light was illuminating my Cube 10 and I noticed that I only saw three Neons swimming around, so I walked over and had a look.
Last place I looked was the back of the tank where there's a sump of sorts and sure enough, there was one laying on top of the plastic that holds the filter sock. I was unable to pull him up and get him into the tank. He got between a gap and down into the back of the tank he went.

Well, once I had the sock out I looked inside and sure enough, there was Neon #2. Into the tank he went.
Then I started wondering how I was going to get the other one out of the compartment. You cannot fit a hand in there. I was thinking some kind of ladle or spoon, then I remembered the black netting I had in the basement left over from a project. I never throw anything out :)

I fashioned up a quick net with some furnace wire and staples. It fit all the way across the sock compartment so I would not have to worry about him getting around it.

IMG_6691.JPG

I also added some netting across the filter intake slots so it doesn't happen again. I'll find a smaller binder clip when I remember where I put them and take off the silver wire pieces once it's in place. The suction keeps it against the slots anyway.
You can also see the filter sock. The poor guy was laying on the plastic square being kept alive by the water flow traveling into the sock. His buddy must have come through the slots and gone directly into the sock.

IMG_6692.JPG

And the Neon Five are together once again :)

IMG_6697.JPG

Sanderguy777

Well, I thought I wasn't going to do anything to my aquariums today...

The ambient light was illuminating my Cube 10 and I noticed that I only saw three Neons swimming around, so I walked over and had a look.
Last place I looked was the back of the tank where there's a sump of sorts and sure enough, there was one laying on top of the plastic that holds the filter sock. I was unable to pull him up and get him into the tank. He got between a gap and down into the back of the tank he went.

Well, once I had the sock out I looked inside and sure enough, there was Neon #2. Into the tank he went.
Then I started wondering how I was going to get the other one out of the compartment. You cannot fit a hand in there. I was thinking some kind of ladle or spoon, then I remembered the black netting I had in the basement left over from a project. I never throw anything out :)

I fashioned up a quick net with some furnace wire and staples. It fit all the way across the sock compartment so I would not have to worry about him getting around it.

IMG_6691.JPG

I also added some netting across the filter intake slots so it doesn't happen again. I'll find a smaller binder clip when I remember where I put them and take off the silver wire pieces once it's in place. The suction keeps it against the slots anyway.
You can also see the filter sock. The poor guy was laying on the plastic square being kept alive by the water flow traveling into the sock. His buddy must have come through the slots and gone directly into the sock.

IMG_6692.JPG

And the Neon Five are together once again :)

IMG_6697.JPG
I'm just curious, did you not have a net or did you need one that was a special shape or size?

PAcanis

I have a couple nets, but none that would fit in that compartment.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AggressiveAquatics
Replies
Views
PAcanis
Replies
Views
Dunk2
  • Question
  • squidny